From feathers to scales, campus is crawling with critters

On having a corn snake, by Jonathen Gray

Mr. Noodles is a 4 year old corn snake that I like to think of as more of a co-teacher than my pet. He is amelanistic (he lacks dark melanin pigment he helps me explain what a pigment is to my 6th grade students. His movements, feeding habits, and scent-gathering tongue help me explain adaptations to my 11th and 12th grade environmental science students. Recently, as we discuss the seven levels of classification in 6th grade life science, he helps me explain that even though he is very flexible, he is still a vertebrate in the phylum Chordata. But perhaps the most important lesson he teaches is that snakes are valuable living creatures that deserve respect. They provide a free pest control service and are vital links as predators and prey in many ecosystems that help keep these systems functioning and balanced. In fact, venomous snakes are being used in medical research to help treat cancer in humans. Considering 162,460 people on average in the U.S. die of lung cancer each year and only 6 people die on average from venomous snake bites each year in the U.S., perhaps Mr. Noodles and his kin are not so bad after all. For anyone wanting to learn more about snakes or just to see one up close, please come visit Mr. Noodles and me!

On having a hedgehog, by sophomore Charlotte Craig

Hedgehogs don’t come off as great pets at first because of their quills, but they’re actually very fun when they get to know you. My hedgehog’s name is Jeffy, and he’s 2 months old. His face looks like an opossum, and he has a tiny little tail. Jeffy likes to dig underneath his bed and sleep in the bedding, instead of actually sleeping in the bed itself. He also has a habit of crawling out of your hand and hanging out on your shoulder. Hedgehogs are really not that spikey unless they get scared. That’s when the quills start to hurt!

On having lizards, by senior Charlie Soderstrom

My famous leopard geckos have been seen across the globe. The viral video “Thirsty Lizards” on YouTube has been running rampant through the streets of Facebook. The unusual pet acts much differently than a common house cat or dog. It is interesting to watch the way that these animals act in their own habitat since they are such unusual creatures.Walking slowly, striking their prey with the utmost speed and accuracy, and drinking water just like a dog!