Mothers that make it work

RICHELLE BURKE

Being a middle or high school student, it’s often hard to keep a balance between school, homework, extracurriculars, and family—so hard, in fact, that many students give schoolwork and college preparations priority over family life, and parents have to make a special effort to spend time with their kids.  With Mothers’ Day around the corner, it’s a good time to commemorate our amazing moms.   According to ABC News, the number of mothers in the work force has nearly reached an all time high at 70.6%, just under the record of 73% in 2000, and nearly 40% of wives out-earn their husbands.  Still we all know tons of moms who somehow take time out of their busy schedules to spend time with their children, and now is the time to recognize them for what they do for themselves, their kids, and the community.

Sophomore Joy Harlynking’s mom, Joanne King is currently an interior designer and a yoga teacher for the Disney employees.  She has a home office and uses her weekends to spend time with her family.  Not only does she take Joy shopping and let her borrow her clothes, but she also dedicates her Saturday mornings to family yoga time every week.  She even goes above and beyond by letting Joy help her with her work.  “Sometimes when she can’t decide what to put in someone’s house she asks me,” says Harlynking.  “She says I have a really good eye for design.”

Harlynking isn’t the only student with an artistic mom.  Junior Allison Vittes’ mom Karen Peters is a viola player and music librarian for the Orlando Philharmonic.  Her orchestra has played with major soloists like James Galway, Joshua Bell, and Sarah Chang; accompanied performances by the ballet and opera; and even recorded sessions for commercials and pop stars like Matchbox 20.  She also plays in a quartet called the Raintree Chamber Players who play for twenty to thirty weddings and receptions a year.  Still, on top of all of this, she spends time with her daughter.  “She makes time for me every day by leaving her job as a music librarian to pick me up from school and make dinner, and then goes back to work for a rehearsal or concert,” says Vittes.  “Sometimes she even turns down job opportunities when I have important events.”

Freshman Katie Lewis’s mom Brenda Lewis is a pediatrician.  “She owns her own practice, which can be stressful at times,” says Katie.  “But [she] always keeps a positive attitude.”  Brenda spends time with her children through their activities, like Katie’s involvement in theater.  “My mom makes the best of this by taking me out to mother daughter dinners after rehearsal,” says Katie.  “Also on weekends off, she takes my brother and me to Disney for the day.”

Kim Crag-Chaderton, mother of Junior Mimi Crag-Chaderton, is a lawyer for the Department of Children and Families.  Her job is to protect children who have been abused, abandoned, or neglected.  “Although this job is very stressful and some of the cases are mentally taxing she still comes home with a smile on her face,” says Mimi.  “She leaves her job at the door and all her attention is then focused on her family.”  Mimi’s mom is a perfect example of a mom who truly makes time for her daughter.  She plans her days off at the start of the school year to coincide with Mimi’s days off, and makes sure to set aside one night a month for girls’ night with Mimi.  “She is my movie buddy, shopping buddy, Broadway play buddy, as well as my best friend.”

These moms make it look easy, but being a mother is a huge job.  Even though millions of women have kids, it is never routine or second nature.  It takes strength, and it is impressive to see how so many mothers have what it takes to have children, afford them, love them, raise them, and ultimately let them go.  It is impossible to thank them for the tramendous amount of effort they put into their children’s lives.