Pumpkin, spice and everything nice: Fall recipes to perk up your palate

SUSANNA LOWNDES
A little pumpkin flavor can add a lot to your breakfast.

They are popping up on doorsteps with glowing faces, piled high in churchyard patches, and their plasticized cousins clutter the aisles of Target. It is pumpkin season, no doubt. These great orange gourds are inescapable during the fall, yet nowadays most people don’t even think to put them to some of their best uses—and there are many of them.

For thousands of years pumpkins were a staple of the American diet. Native Americans, according to the University of Illinois, cultivated and roasted pumpkins. Early European colonists took their cue from the Native Americans and added a twist, making the first improvised pumpkin pie. Taking a hollowed pumpkin, they filled it with sugar and milk, and baked it in the fire.

Pumpkin recipes have greatly evolved since that first primitive pie. The distinct and versatile flavor of the gourd is the basis for recipes savory and sweet.

To celebrate the arrival of fall, bring the pumpkin off the doorstep and back into the kitchen.  Here are a few recipes to get you started.

Pumpkin Ice Cream

This is a healthier approach to the classic treat; one serving has 250% of your daily vitamin A.

Serves 4

1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1/3 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup canned pumpkin

1 teaspoon cinnamon

dash of salt

In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy whipping cream, milk and vanilla extract. Stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Add canned pumpkin, whisking until there are no longer lumps.  Finally, mix in cinnamon and salt. Pour into airtight container, and keep in freezer overnight or until frozen.

[Note- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon might be sufficient, however, you can modify this amount to your tastes.]

Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Any good pumpkin recipe starts with a good pumpkin.  In order to ensure the pumpkin has good seeds, there are a few key details to look for. First, make sure the pumpkin is dense and devoid of soft or dark spots. It should have at least one or two inches worth of stem—if not, then it is more likely to rot or already be rotting.

Serves 2

1 cup pumpkin seeds

Olive oil

1/3 cup sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Wash pumpkin seeds thoroughly in cold water. Make sure that there are no remaining pumpkin strings left. Spread pumpkin seeds in an even layer on an oiled baking sheet. Stir until a light cover of olive oil coats all seeds. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring seeds every 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together sugar, cinnamon and salt. Put seeds in a large bowl. Stir in sugar mixture. Let cool and serve.

Pumpkin Waffles

Adding pumpkin to waffles infuses a touch of flavor to a sometimes bland breakfast.

Serves 4

1 cup flour

dash of salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 tablespoon sugar

1 egg

3/4 cup milk

2 tablespoons melted butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup canned pumpkin

Preheat waffle iron. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Set aside. In a separate bowl, beat egg. Add milk, melted butter, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Beat in pumpkin until there are no longer lumps.

Pour batter into waffle iron. Serve immediately afterwards. If desired, top with whipped cream or cinnamon.

View Comments (2)
AMY LOWNDES
AMY LOWNDES, Editor-in-Chief
Amy Lowndes is thrilled to be entering her fourth and final year on staff as Editor-in-Chief. Besides the paper, she loves iced coffee, Waffle House and Dolly Parton.

• P

Privacy GatewayOct 17, 2013 at 7:58 am

Pumpkins

By Noopur Ranganathan

One might think that a pumpkin has no nutritional or beneficial value based on its fluorescent, tangy, and orange color. But deep within the geometrically symmetrical vegetable is a plethora of secrets about its magical powers. The pumpkin’s spherical shape might give an impression that consuming it will lead to weight gain. However, with three grams of fiber per one cup serving and only 49 calories, pumpkins aid weight loss. Pumpkins are a great source of vitamin A, which helps keep eyesight sharp. They are also rich in carotenoids, including beta-carotene, which the body converts into a form of vitamin A and a good source of vitamins C & E and some plant phenols. This chez-mix of nutrients also maintains and protects skin, reduces the risk of cancer, and boosts the immune system. Bad cholesterol forms plaque in the arteries. The pumpkin seeds are naturally rich in phytosterols that reduce “bad” cholesterol, which helps improve heart condition. Apart from these extraordinary powers, pumpkins help restore the body’s balance of electrolytes after a heavy workout. What more can one ask for from an exquisite, succulent sphere packed with supernatural powers?

Reply
  • P

Privacy GatewayOct 12, 2013 at 11:11 am

Yum!

Reply