Get scared this Halloween—and not from your empty wallet: Halloween attractions that won’t break the bank

It’s a cool October night, and you’re ready to have fun and unwind. However, you are starting to get tired because you’ve been standing in line for 40 minutes and still have another hour to go. Your hand subconsciously wanders to your wallet, and when you examine the contents, you’re discouraged to discover that you’ve spent the last precious $60 of your hard-earned paycheck only to stand in line for most of the night at Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights.

While Universal’s annual event continues to be the Halloween attraction of choice for many Central Floridians, there are other options for more budget-friendly Halloween fun. From bone-chilling haunted houses to family friendly festivals, there’s something that everyone can enjoy without breaking the bank.

Located in Altamonte Springs, A Petrified Forest is not for the faint of heart. For only $15, you’ll find yourself battling monsters and actors down the famed “Scare Trail,” set in several buildings and an outdoor wooded area.

“Guests can see the forest trees above them, and you never know what is lurking in the forest around and above you,” said Nichole Scott, Head of Marketing. This year, they expect more than 15,000 visitors. Besides the Scare Trail, A Petrified Forest also offers laser tag, backstage tours, live music, vendors and food.

“Typically, someone who has never been to our haunted trail has thought we are a standard, five minute backyard haunt.  This is far from the truth, even though we did humbly start in a backyard,” Scott said. “I think that our guests can see our passion for our work when they walk (and in some cases run!) the 25 minute trail.”

“A Petrified Forest was a lot of fun and a lot cheaper and more accessible than Halloween Horror Nights. It was also really scary,” said senior Stephanie Salas, who visited the attraction in 2012.

A Petrified Forest is open Thursdays-Saturdays in October from 7:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.

For those who would rather not spend their evening continually checking over their shoulders for murderers (actors or not,) A Lot of Pumpkins is a family friendly carnival attraction at Santa’s Christmas Tree Forest in Eustis. From pumpkin carving to campfires, there’s something for everyone.

While admission and parking are free, don’t forget to bring money for special attraction tickets. For only $2, visitors can enjoy the Magical Maze, horse rides, hayrides and a zip line. This year, the farm expects 10,000 guests to visit in four weekends, according to Jodi Utsman, Chief Elf.

If you are looking to be scared and startled, head to Universal,” she said. “If you are looking to visit a real working farm with affordable family fun, then come visit Santa’s Christmas Tree Forest and A Lot of Pumpkins!”

A Lot of Pumpkins is open Saturdays and Sundays from October 6 through 28 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

If you’re not feeling up to visiting a Halloween attraction, there are still other inexpensive things to do to celebrate Halloween. Throw a Halloween party with your friends or organize a scary movie marathon. From traditional pumpkin carving to helping turn your younger sibling into a cat or a Power Ranger, Halloween is a holiday that can be easily enjoyed without spending a ton of cash.