We can do it

Tears rolled down from the audience’s eyes as Emma Watson stood behind the podium voicing her opinion about women’s rights. When Watson attended the recent U.N. conference, she introduced the “HeforShe” campaign, a movement supporting gender equality.

“[Women’s rights] is an important cause that needs attention to ensure that women are treated with basic needs such as safety, dignity and respect,” said Denise Musselwhite, the co-Advisor of Trinity Prep’s PeaceJam Club.

During the early 1900s, the U.S. took action in order to make sure that women are treated equally.

Passed in 1911, the 19th amendment allowed women the right to vote. This was one of the first initiatives in making sure that women are given the same rights as men.

Since then, change has occurred as women were given more rights. For example, the passing of Title IX in 1972 resulted in the ban of gender discrimination in the public schools system.

Currently, this issue is almost unheard of, and the gender gap between women and men has substantially shrunk in the United States.

Women from different countries, especially underprivileged areas, do not have some rights and opportunities that women have in the U.S.

“Lack of access to an adequate education and personal safety is an enormous obstacle in developing countries around the world and a barrier to the advancement of women’s rights,” Musselwhite said.

We should decide on how to change the future by focusing on events that affect others.

Recently in Norway, a group launched the Thea Campaign that is raising awareness for underage marriage. Underage marriage is prevalent in countries where poverty exists. Joining the Thea campaign is a step towards prohibiting underaged marriage.

There are many campaigns that people can join to make a difference in women’s rights all over the world. Campaigns that focus on peaceful change are the most effective and sucessful. The Thea and Smart Girls campaign are non-violent campaigns that focus on social issues including women’s rights.

Amy Poehler started the campaign, Smart Girls, which is an inspiring role model for the young.  Smart Girls is a fun way of being part of an online community that encourages women to volunteer and to become activists.

Here at Trinity Prep, clubs such as PeaceJam focus on social issues including women’s rights. Last year, the club selected the topic of “Untrap Untapped Potential.” The project promoted the rights of women and children globally and supported the Harbor House and Girls Learn International.

For change to be achieved for the future, both men and women will have to cooperate together. We should remember that the women’s rights movement does not cause a lack of concern or support for men’s issues. It is important that those who are interested in issues related to women’s rights have significant and inclusive conversations. Both gender’s voices should be considered while doing so.