The Casual Vacancy is not for the casual reader

J.K. Rowling deals with politics and prostitution in her gripping new novel for adults

J.K. Rowling.

When people hear the name, they automatically think of the Harry Potter series, a worldwide phenomenon that started in 1997 with the release of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.

As soon as word had spread that Rowling was writing a new book, fans of all age prepared themselves for another new favorite book.

But the new book is clearly targeted towards adults. The theme is more mature, and the content is not meant for young readers. Just a few pages into the book, it was apparent that The Casual Vacancy is for mature readers. With 500 pages to go, SAT words were already abundant.

Starting the book, I had high expectations. I hoped that the woman who enchanted so many could write another loved novel.

The tragicomedy had countless characters and a complicated plot. Outlined is a pretty town, but when the town’s Parish Councilor abruptly dies, a power struggle breaks out between the people.

The plot starts quickly with the death in the first chapter. The beginning continues the confusion by alternating narrators every chapter before the reader has a chance to get to know the characters’ situations, let alone their names.

As the story moves on, the characters are easier to understand, and the reader can appreciate Rowling’s writing style. Her depth and attention to detail is distinctive in her books as compared to the sea of simplistic, banal literature that many adults settle for.

It is difficult to get over the first part of the book, but once the story gains momentum, the plot is more gripping.

While Rowling juggles gloomy topics such as politics and prostitution, she also shows her dark humor, especially through the young teenagers who play big roles in the book. Their young lives are quickly turned around when introduced to this bad situation, and their scandals are just as exposed as the adults’ lives.

One thing is for sure: all of the characters introduced are fully dimensional. This makes the plot more interesting, because even bad decisions can seem justified. This is the advantage of switching the narrator of each chapter, which seems like a good decision by the time you reach the end of the novel. Even though the book is full of talent, it is not a book for a relaxed reader. The Casual Vacancy needs the reader’s full attention. The magic and whimsy of Harry Potter is gone; The Casual Vacancy’s dark themes and tragic stories are evidently more suited for adults.

Rowling shows that Young Adult literature is not her only medium. Her brave, new addition to the library has already helped her post-Potter career: Even though reviews have been mixed, it has become one of the best selling books of 2012.

If you have the attention span and the drive to read a difficult book, you will be able to get through the confusing beginning of The Casual Vacancy, and then you can get into the action.