Chorus concert brings Christmas cheer

The weather is cooling down, exam stress  is going up and the annual Christmas tree has been placed in front of the senior benches, marking the end of the first semester. With the last full  week of classes coming to a close, so does concert week- the week when the various sections of the music department have their end-of-marking period concerts, which wrapped up on Sunday December 13 with the Chorus concert.

In their most recent concert “We Believe,” Trinity Prep’s four choirs: Introduction to Chorus, Middle School Chorus, Vocal Society, and FlipSide, the after-school group, came together to perform various songs ranging from Christmas carols to contemporary acapella.

The title “We Believe” was shown throughout the concert based on the themes of the songs; the first half was focused on human values that they believe in such as peace, hope and love, while the second, more Christmas-themed, half focused on believing in the joy of the holiday season.

The first half of the show featured songs of various languages and time periods. It opened with Introduction to Chorus singing “Dansi Na Kuimba,” an East African folk song about “dancing and singing,” as given by the title’s translation. Other notable performances Vocal Society’s performance of “Inscription of Hope,” a song taken from texts that are believed to have been written by a Jewish boy on the wall of a cellar where they were found during World War II, and “The Wizard of Ahhhs,” a song by the acapella group Pentatonix which takes a variety of pop songs and uses them to tell the story of the Wizard of Oz.

The end of the first part featured the songs “I Believe” and “Hot Chocolate” from The Polar Express. The audience was given cups of hot chocolate from the singers in order to further be put in the Christmas mood for the second half of the show.

The second half of the concert featured both traditional Christmas Carols such as “Jingle Bells,” which was performed by senior Dimetri Crane, sophomores Sean Leider and Roland Spillmann  and freshman Robby Witten in the style of a barbershop quartet. It also featured not-so traditional Christmas songs such as “Please Don’t Sing Another Fa-La-La,” a song about loving Christmas, but hating the overused Christmas phrase ‘Fa-La-La.’

To close the concert, all of the choirs came back together to perform a medley of songs from the Elf soundtrack–making for a merry end to a semester of hard work for the choral department.