Paris, Tokyo… Reykjavík? Not so typical summer hotspots

Andrew Kwa
Andrew Kwa

It’s finally that time of the year when we can throw away all the books and just relax. Summer ushers in visions of swaying palm trees, sunny beaches, tall cool drinks, wide straw hats, carry-all totes, sunscreen bottles, flip flops and oh yes sunglasses! Time to chill out in those dreamy places that seize your attention in the magazines you browse while waiting in your dentist’s office.

But instead of presenting the usual summer hotspots, we present something different. Places that one wouldn’t think of going to in the summer. These destinations, we promise, will not disappoint you.

Number 3: Goa, India

Goa, a place that lags far behind on the curve of today’s fast-paced living. With miles and miles of clear white sand, stunning landscapes, unique colonial architecture, Portuguese-influenced cuisine and way fewer crowds, Goa has become a 5-star holiday destination. Beautiful churches, charming houses, midnight markets, spiritual retreats, invigorating spas and fragrant spices promise to recharge all your senses. Goa is the product of the kaleidoscopic blend of Portuguese and Indian cultures not seen anywhere else in the world.

Number 2: Bali, Indonesia

Iconic rice paddies, incredible sunsets, pristine beaches, coral reefs, ancient temples, yoga retreats, tropical wildlife, friendly people and delicious food congregate in Bali, the world’s tropical island paradise.

“I never thought about Indonesia as a cool summer vacation,” said junior Sarina Kothari. “But after hearing about it, I might just change my summer trip from Alaska to Bali.”

Each beach in Bali offers a very unique activity. In a mood to dive? Head off to the coral-filled lagoon with multiple shipwrecks off the coast of Amed. Check out kayaking on Geger beach. Tone down the excitement in private villas off the Bingin beach where white limestone cliffs and clear blue water promise to soothe the nerves.

Number 1: Iceland

Summer in Iceland is the time when nature shrugs off its winter hibernation. Vibrant colors of the season and radiant skies create a perfect setting for hiking in one of the world’s most brilliant and dramatic landscapes. The melting peaks create a myriad of stunning waterfalls all over the country. And let’s not forget the Northern lights, which paint the skies with amazing hues of bright green, purple, yellowish green and the rare red. You can even be in two places of the globe at the same time by floating above or diving to the floor of the Silfra ridge.