Movies worth melting for

Olivia Demetriades

Once exams are over, Christmas will be just around the corner. Put on your fuzzy socks, grab some hot chocolate, and choose a movie to put you in the Christmas mood.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Although this movie may have been defined as a Halloween film, it no doubt has a good sense of Christmas spirit. Based on a poem by Tim Burton, the movie portrays Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king of Halloween Town who is tired of doing the same thing every Halloween. He finds Christmas Town and tries to create Christmas. If you love Christmas mixed with Halloween, this is the movie for you.

Elf (2003) 

Be sure to catch up with your favorite elf, Buddy, played by Will Ferrell. If you haven’t already seen this movie, do yourself a favor and watch it. Elf is about Buddy the elf who is one of Santa Claus’s most loyal yet most abnormal helpers. He realizes that he’s not like the other elves, so he does the unthinkable and goes on a mission to find his father outside of the North Pole. “Elf” never fails to satisfy our Christmas mood as it has a good mix of humor, love, and of course, Christmas cheer.

“It’s just something I look forward to and enjoy watching every year,” junior Mikayla Vogel said. “Also, Will Ferrell is hilarious.”

A Christmas Carol (2009)

This movie is about the classic story of Ebenezer Scrooge and his journey through the past, present, and future to open his heart and understand the true meaning of Christmas. He starts out as a selfish, grumpy old man, but when he travels through time, he realizes that he had been taking things for granted. If you enjoyed Dickens’ novel in seventh grade, you’ll definitely enjoy this film.

The Holiday (2006)

If you’re looking for a more romantic comedy sort of Christmas flick, “The Holiday” is just the one. The movie stars Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jack Black and Jude Law. This will satisfy your love for rom-coms and of course, your love for Christmas.

““The Holiday” is a great movie that gets me in the holiday spirit every year,” junior Dara Begley said.

The Polar Express (2004)

A boy named Billy finds himself struggling to believe in Santa Claus and the spirit of Christmas until a mysterious train called the Polar Express arrives on Christmas Eve. Billy meets other children like him as they embark on an adventure to the North Pole. The story is filled with adventure and is enjoyable for all ages.

“One of my favorite Christmas movies is The Polar Express because I had quite the obsession with trains when I was younger, and it also has a nice holiday message,” sophomore Eli Finkelstein said.

Home Alone (1990)

We are throwing it back to the 90’s with an all-time favorite. Home Alone is a movie that is great for all ages because of the humor and mischief it entails. Starring Macaulay Culkin, the movie is about a young boy named Kevin McCallister whose family decides to go on a trip during Christmas vacation. His family is pretty much all over the place, so his parents forget Kevin at home by accident. He then has to protect the house from robbers by setting up a variety of booby traps.

“It’s just a classic,” senior Cameron Qiao said. “I love the idea of Christmas in New York City.”