New Addition: Teacher brings novel perspective on Latin

Outside Winter Springs High School, Trinity Prep Latin students are talking, worrying, and preparing for the next hours to come at the 2017 Regional Latin Forum. A new face bears witness to the events, and she’s not a student. The newest member of the Trinity Prep family is teacher Bozena Baranowska Lawson.

Before coming to Trinity Prep, Mrs. Lawson lived in Hendersonville, Tennessee for about eight years. However, Mrs. Lawson was actually born and raised in a small town about 40 kilometers from Warsaw, the capital of Poland. She was born in the 70’s, a period of time when Poland was a part of the Soviet Union. As a child, Mrs. Lawson lacked many rights that today we take for granted.

“You couldn’t go abroad,” Lawson said. “You couldn’t do anything.”

In this time of darkness, Mrs. Lawson looked to her family as a source of light. On her family’s farm, Mrs. Lawson worked with her family to grow crops and care for the animals. As a result, their bond was much stronger than those commonly found in America.

“My family in Poland really took care of me and I know I can always rely on them,” Lawson said.

Mrs. Lawson became involved in Latin at a young age. She was lucky enough to attend one of the best schools in Warsaw. There, Mrs. Lawson concentrated on humanities, which included basic Latin. This influenced her decisions during college when she was choosing between math and Latin.

“I knew I liked it enough, and I decided that Latin is more interesting because you still get the challenge of deciphering the language,” Lawson said.

In 1989, the Soviet Union fell, and Poland became an independent country. After this occurred, many people immigrated from America to Poland for jobs and other opportunities. One of these immigrants was the man who would later become Mrs. Lawson’s husband. After meeting and marrying in Poland, they opened a successful language school in Warsaw together.

“It was doing really well,” Lawson said. “We started with a few students, and we built it up to 180 students.”

Eventually, Mr. Lawson became homesick, and the couple made the decision to move back to Tennessee, where Mr. Lawson was originally from. There, she found a job at Pope John Paul II High School, a large preparatory school close to Nashville where she worked for eight years.

“We had a really good program, too,” Lawson said.

One of the notable differences between Pope John Paul II High School and Trinity Prep’s Latin programs is membership in the National Junior Classical League, an organization that, among other things, organizes events such as Regional Forum and State Forum. Mrs. Lawson has been an active participant at these events, and has even started a Latin club to intrigue younger students similar to her other club at PJP II.

“It’s wonderful seeing so many young people excited to learn Latin,” Lawson said.

Mrs. Lawson’s transition from Tennessee to Florida still isn’t complete. She hasn’t fully adjusted, and wants to truly integrate herself as a part of the Trinity family.

“The people out here are great,” Lawson said. “But we’re trying to know people a little closer.”

Mrs. Lawson spent time reflecting on her life in America. Since she’s been exposed to two different cultures, Mrs. Lawson knows not to take what she has for granted.

“It was always hard work, going to school, helping my parents with the farm,” Lawson said. “But you know, it taught me to appreciate more what I have.”

Mrs. Lawson has been received well in all of her Latin classes. One of her students, eighth grader Molly Pope, enjoys having Mrs. Lawson as a teacher.

“She’s very nice, she’s encouraging,” Pope said. “She’s funny.”

Mrs. Lawson enjoys the new atmosphere that Trinity Prep provides. She savors coming to work everyday, and is here to stay.

“We like it here,” Lawson said. “I love my job. I love my students.”