John Michael Night walks at graduation

While graduation day is a big day for all seniors, it was especially important for one senior in particular.  John Michael Night recently returned home from the Shepherd Center in Atlanta after nearly five months of intensive rehabilitation and physical therapy.  Night suffered from a brainstem stroke in December which resulted in Locked-in Syndrome.  Since then, he has been tirelessly working to recover.

Just two weeks ago, Night was flown home from Atlanta and has begun his therapy in Central Florida.  On May 24 on the way home from the airport, he was driven through the streets of Winter Park.  He was greeted by hundreds of friends, classmates and even people who don’t know John Michael, but have been touched by his story.

Since the stroke, John Michael’s goal was to walk across the stage at his graduation.  On June 4, he did exactly that–he received his diploma with the other 124 members of the class of 2016.  With the assistance of three of his friends, John Michael took the 10 steps he needed to reach his goal.  Upper School Principal Dennis Herron read a message from John Michael to his classmates.  It stated: “This past year I’ve learned a lot about what it means to be a part of the Trinity family.  I celebrate this day with not only my classmates but my brothers and sisters.  I will never be able to repay what this school has done for me.  I could never have done this without my friends and family and Julia, of course.  Thank you for your continued love and support.  Momma, we made it!  Ad astra per aspera.”

John Michael truly looked excited to be on stage with his classmates receiving his diploma.  As he took his steps, the entire auditorium gave him a standing ovation, and there was not a dry eye in the room.  The support John Michael has received from the Central Florida community and beyond has been exceptional.  His story has touched the hearts of thousands of people from around the world.  As John Michael continues his recovery at home, he will no doubtedly have the support of the Trinity family and all of Central Florida.