The fault with 5th Avenue

Spanning 6.2 miles in Manhattan, New York City, 5th Avenue has experienced some major population control since Tuesday November 8, 2016.

Ever since President-elect Trump was elected as America’s 45th president, Secret Service officials have swarmed 5th Avenue questioning almost anyone who dares to walk along New York’s prized tourist destinations.

Shoppers may be questioned up to three times just to visit the Guccis store. 5th Avenue became an inconvenience after that one changing week in November. Stores on 5th Avenue have reported having less service as more people cannot be bothered to deal with the incessant Secret Service.

Of course, President-elect Trump’s safety is imperative, however why there is a nuisance on the famous New York street to simply shop is an important economical problem.

Right now, Trump Tower on 5th Avenue houses the future president. However when he relocates to the White House on Friday January 20, his wife and son will remain situated on 5th Avenue. As a result, secret service will be split between securing the White House—for President-elect Trump—and Trump Tower—for Melania and Barron.

However, the economic risk of 5th Avenue for the next four years is not the only conundrum that has been raised as a result of the Trump family’s living situation. The Secret Service requires a great increase in taxpayer money to accommodate all their needs in securing the President.

“Operating in Manhattan is expensive, and the fact that the Secret Service has to pay, by law, for office space on protectees’ residences, plane tickets on protectees’ planes, there’s a dollar figure that I don’t think you can really estimate right now,” said Donald Mihalek, head of the Secret Service division of Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association.

While President-elect Trump’s inauguration date veers closer and closer, many important questions remain unanswered: is this what is going to happen to all of President-elect Trump’s homes? Is President-elect Trump expected to be splitting his time among his many houses? How long does he expect to stay away from the White House?

President-elect Trump has many houses, and we have many unanswered questions.

MELISSA PREGASEN, Staff Writer
Melissa is currently a senior who joined the opinions department and the Trinity Voice staff this year. She can be often found at a debate tournament struggling with Google maps. She is a pianist, a passionate traveler and a gargoyle enthusiast. Melissa hopes to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the fall.