Fifteen minutes of Fitz and The Tantrums

Courtesy of BB Gun Press
Fitz and The Tantrums released its third album.

Fitz and The Tantrums is a neo-soul mixed with Indie pop band who began its career in 2008. Comprised of Michael Fitzpatrick, Noelle Scaggs, James King, Joseph Karnes, Jeremy Ruzumna and John Wicks it has had much success lately with its self-titled third album titled. In March, the band’s single “HandClap” was released and reached Number 5 on Billboard’s US Alternative Songs. The Bite had the chance to chat with saxophonist James King before the band’s concert on Nov. 5 at the House of Blues.

When did you decide to pursue your music career?

I decided personally when I was a real little kid. I grew up with two musical parents, and that was kind of all I knew growing up. I took the stage at a really young age and realized I loved doing it. I started playing guitar when I was five and then piano lessons and came to the saxophone eventually, and I knew that’s what I wanted to continue with.

Did family and friends encourage this decision or did you ever have anyone tell you  that you were crazy for trying to make it in such a cut-throat business?

I was the rare kid who actually was encouraged to go for it with the music career. I was encouraged all the way through. It’s not like there weren’t any hurdles throughout my youth. I do remember one kid named George who I went to highschool with. He would say stuff like, “Oh you want to be a professional musician, I mean you’re pretty good in the school band but you want to go pro. That’s not going to happen.” That’s when I decided to show George that I was going to do it. It took me until a friend in high school doubt[ed] me that I actually had to prove somebody wrong.

How did you and the rest of the band come up with the name “Fitz and The Tantrums?”

Well, Michael Fitzpatrick goes by “Fitz” so, we thought throwing fits, throwing tantrums.

What is your favorite memory from touring?

Wow, there are so many. There was a night in Paris where we had a food fight backstage. It was a really bad idea in Paris because the food is really good there. I remember that there were baguettes and really good cheese being thrown. I mean, I’m kind of sad to think about all the good food that was wasted, but that night was such a good memory. But once we took the stage that night, it was all love and smiles.

What is your favorite song from your most recent album?

For me, it is “Complicated.” It’s a really saucy number and on that song I like playing the cabassa part.

Do you have any goals for future albums?

Yes, but we’re going to try and get through this album first. We’re so deep in this record right now, and I’m just enjoying playing these songs. The end seems really far off, but once we get there we know it’s going to seem like no time has passed. So, we’re just going to take it as it comes.

How do you and the rest of the band stay engaged with the audience while performing?

Well, one thing is that Fitz always asks the crowd at one point during the evening to put down their phones and dance. I think that’s a really obvious thing to me. Seeing all of the fans faces, a lot of them are looking at us, but a lot are also recording or Snapchatting. I think a little of that is fine, but it can really affect the memory of the concert. I don’t think people should waste their ticket price to just look at their phone the whole night because you can do that anywhere. [I want people to] enjoy the show and have a good time. We’re not one of those bands who’s going to confiscate your phone at the door, but at the same time I think that it’s a two way street. A lot of fans seem to forget that we want to connect with them and want to see their eyeballs and bodies move.

If you could perform with any one person or band, who would it be and why?

Geez, that’s a tough one. There are so many right now that are legends and that we idolize. I’m going to go with Stevie Wonder because he’s such a legend.

Lastly, describe your sound in three words.

Sax, latent, party.