Weinstock’s final strike: Senior Andrew Weinstock amazes on and off the lanes

Well-known for his exciting announcements at Monday morning assemblies, senior Andrew Weinstock is the leader of this year’s Boys Varsity Bowling team. He carries on the traditions of former seniors, constantly gives suggestions and help to his younger teammates, and spends most of his days at the bowling alley

Weinstock tried out for the bowling team in his freshman year so that he could experience school sports.

“I wanted to get involved with a sport and bowling sounded awesome,” he said.

For his fourth and final year on the Trinity Prep bowling team, Weinstock has high hopes in store for his team.

“My goal is for the first-ever district championship and to go to States for the first time as a team,” he said.

The bowling team operates on a different schedule than most other sports.

All teams go to districts, and the top four teams from that meet advance to the next round.  The top two teams from the second round are crowned district champion and district runner-up. Those two teams go on to compete for the state title.

Trinity Prep’s hardest opponents of the season are Circle Christian and Apopka High School.

Recent losses to both teams only fuel Weinstock and his teammates’ desire to come out on top.

“We are going to beat them both at districts.  That is the goal, and that’s what is going to happen,” Weinstock said.

He began the season strongly, throwing an 11-strike game as well as a nine-strike game.

“It was pretty incredible,” Weinstock said.  “I was really sick. I almost didn’t bowl that day at all, but I was in the zone and all I could concentrate on was bowling and the pins just kind of fell.”

Weinstock goes through the same warm-up routine before every bowling match.

To mentally prepare, he listens to pump up music and then calls a team huddle that incorporates traditions such as team chants and shouting to get the entire team psyched.

He said that his favorite part about bowling is the team.

“The team chemistry is great.  It’s a lot of yelling, backslapping and high­fiving,” he said.

“It’s so much fun, I can’t even describe what it’s like to be on such a great team,” Weinstock continued. “ I really do love it.”

Coach of the bowling teams at Trinity Prep, Susan Frederick boasts about Weinstock
and his team.

“Andrew calls the team together and gives pep talks to strengthen the bond that already exists,” she said.

“He is also the personal mentor for our one sixth grader.  I am proud to be the coach for such a respectful and talented team.”

The number of fans at their matches has increased this year.

This is due, in part, to the enthusiasm shown by the bowling team during their weekly announcements at assemblies. Teammate and senior Peter Vandendriessche enjoys the excitement of bowling matches.

“If someone strikes, the entire team goes nuts.  I don’t think I have ever seen anything like it,” he said.  “I promise, bowling matches will not disappoint.”

Weinstock believes that his competitive bowling days will end after his final high school season.

“There is no NCAA men’s bowling,” Weinstock said.  “I probably won’t bowl in college, but maybe intramural bowling.”

Weinstock enjoys every minute of his final season. Bowling five days a week — four with the team, and once on his own — Weinstock’s perseverance and
determination will surely pay off in the future.