Rise of the Olympic refugee team

The 2016 Rio Olympics has been a special one. From Olympic legends competing for the last time to first time Olympians making their mark, the games were full of memorable people.  Of these people were the members of the ROT, the Refugee Olympic Team.

This year was the first time such a team competed. The team consisted of ten people who were forced to leave their homes and families, so they decided to come together under the Olympic flag and form new friendships. The 10 athletes competed in 3 events, track and field, swimming and judo.

Swimmer Yusra Mardini was the youngest on the team at age 18. She won her preliminary heat for the 100m butterfly, which was a huge accomplishment for her first time competing at such a high level.

Although the team members didn’t win any medals, they still got what they came for, which was the chance to follow their dreams despite the hardships they faced. By competing in the Olympics, these athletes not only proved to themselves, but to the whole world that they cannot be stopped.

The fact that there is a whole team of refugees shows that there are serious issues around the world.

“It is a signal to the international community that refugees are our fellow human beings and an enrichment to society,” said the president of the IOC (International Olympic Committee According to rio2016.com. “These refugee athletes will show the world that despite the unimaginable tragedies that they have faced, anyone can contribute to society through their talent, skills and strength of the human spirit.”

The Olympic Refugee team also created a whole new audience for the refugee issue. It brought light to this political issue, and we need to take action to defeat the problem.

The athletes showed that their past struggles and losses don’t define them. They chose their own destiny, and now refugees around the world can have the same hope. While they might not have gotten the gold, they established a legacy that will be remembered.