Colin Kaepernick’s actions send shockwaves through America

It all started just a couple weeks ago, on Aug. 26, when 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick didn’t rise for the National Anthem because of racial discrimination and the oppression of African-Americans in America. Now, it seems that everyone is giving their opinion on his actions.This story has spread all across America with writers, players, coaches, and even the President making statements about Kaepernick. Many people in America have demonstrated their criticisms by tweeting mean comments and organizing boycotts. Even some people have turned to burning Kaepernick’s jersey due to his “unpatriotic” behavior. The police have threatened to not provide security at the 49ers games because of his actions. Despite the criticisms, Kaepernick has continued his quest for more racial equality. While many do not agree with his method, Kaepernick is standing up for what he believes. Some athletes have joined his quest for social justice and have followed him by not standing for the anthem. During the 49er’s preseason game against the Seahawks, Eric Reid and Jeremy Lane joined Kaepernick and did not rise for the anthem. This practice of not standing has spread from NFL players to soccer stars to school children.

I feel that Kaepernick is promoting a respectable message, but failing in his methods. He has certainly struck a chord with many, given that he now has one of the highest selling jerseys in football, but he has also been a common target of criticism. Kaepernick has every right to protest and speak his opinion, but I don’t believe that this is the right way to promote his ideas. His actions such as not standing for the anthem, wearing socks that compare the police to pigs, and wearing a shirt which depicts communist leaders has sparked discussion, but not the right discussion. His goal of ending oppression is being overshadowed by his antics. His antics are receiving the media’s attention, not the cause he supports. While not everyone will agree with his opinions, I do applaud Kaepernick’s one million dollar gift to charity and his efforts to spark conversation, but I feel that he could find a less divisive way to call attention to a worth cause.

View Comments (4)
DREW MILLER
DREW MILLER, Opinions Editor
Standing at 6'4", Drew Miller is a senior entering his third year on the staff. Miller is the Opinions Editor this year but still has a love for sports and the sports department. In his spare time, Miller is a dedicated athlete, competing in chess tournaments, bowling matches, and on a more real level, basketball games and weightlifting meets. Contact Miller at [email protected].

• I

Ishan PereraDec 4, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Beautiful article written by a beautiful man

Reply
  • C

Charlotte KaslOct 22, 2016 at 9:32 pm

I had one more thought in response to the commont above mine about using “antics” to get attention. As a feminist who was active in the sixties and seventies, women were often demeaned by hearing,” but why do you have to get so angry and do antics like burning bras.” “Can’t you talk nicely?” My answer is that when you are repeatedly being demeaned devalued and treated as a second class people , the anger builds up and needs a powerful statement to be heard. Talking nicely had not resulted in being heard and respected. Also antics–which I see as symbolic gestures– (especially with humor) are a great way to make a poweoroful statement, just like protest songs. Peace to everyone

Reply
  • C

Charlotte KaslOct 22, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I applaud Colin Kaepernick. While people may pick on his approach, I think it was a beautiful stance, respectful and powerful. Like a prayer. It was an act of conscience that went beyond sports and profession. And i got people’s attention, which important. I remember years ago seeing the African American athletes raise their fists in a gesture of protest to the inequalities of black people in the US. I remember tears coming to my eyes thinking of the powerful message they sent to everyone incuding oppressed children. It was an act of respect and of courage.
    And to the people sending death threats, you seem to forget this is a Democracy where respectful protest is protected and honored. You stance is like a dictator who jails or kills people for protesting. Peace starts with being able to respect differences. You have a right to stand against injustice as you see it, and I hope you teach your children they get to disagree with you.
    I am a white caucasian woman of 78 who has been stsanding for justice and equality most of my life. I stopped standing for the national anthem several years ago. People scowl at me and I feel uncomfortable, but that’s a small price to pay for showing my commitment to all my brothers and sister every where. Charlotte Kasl

Reply
  • H

HOWARD MAYOSep 18, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Well thought out article. RIGHT ON THE MONEY!

Reply