Make “Room” for a new wave of Oscars

The most magical night of the year is finally over, the Oscars. Celebrating its 88th year, the Oscars has a film for everyone at home, from DiCaprio’s performance in The Revenant to Disney’s Inside Out. Even Jimmy Kimmel got into the Oscars spirit by making another one of his famous “Celebrities read mean tweets,” but, this time, Oscar edition. The hilarious Chris Rock hosted for the first time in 2005. He joked a few days before the show, saying, “I’m only here cause Ellen said no.” Which might be true, but there is no doubt that Rock did better than Neil Patrick Harris, who hosted last year. Now for the big question on everyone’s mind, will Leo finally get the Oscar? He did, but if you didn’t watch the Oscars you’ll have to read to find out who else one.

To begin the night, Chris Rock walked onto the stage in a classy white tux and welcomed us to the “white people’s choice awards.” Chris Rock went straight to the punch, addressing how this year Oscar has no African-American nominees. But he was not offended by it, unlike Jaden Pinkett Smith. His monologue did make the audience a little squirmy, but Rock had some good and equally funny points. He joked, saying many people told him to quit, but he said: “They’re not going to cancel the Oscars because I quit, and the last thing I need is to lose another job to Kevin Hart.”

Vice President Joe Biden got into the Oscar action; he came out to present Lady Gaga’s performance of “Til It Happens To You,” which was nominated for Best Original Song. This unusual pop star co-wrote this song with Oscar winner Diane Warren for the documentary “The Hunting Ground.” Which is about sexual assault on college campuses. Gaga’s performance was stellar, but also extremely moving. At the end of the song, survivors of sexual assault joined her onstage – both men and women. The survivors had the words “survivor” and “unbreakable” written on their arms.

Now time for the only reason many people watch the Oscars, to see who won Best Actor and Best Actress. And you guessed: it Leonardo DiCaprio and Brie Larson took home the wins. Larson was the obvious winner for this award. She starred in the film “Room” about a woman and her 5-year-old son who are held captive for seven years until they are finally released. This was Larson’s first Oscar nomination, but this was definitely not Leo’s first nomination. After five nominations, Leonardo DiCaprio finally took home Oscar for “The Revenant.” The film is about a frontiersman who is travelling through the uncharted wilderness when sustains injuries from a brutal bear attack. His hunting team, leaves him thinking he is dead; he must use his survival skills to make it back to his family alive.

The final and biggest win of the night was Best Picture,presented by Morgan Freeman. I guess you could say that “Spotlight” truly did steal the spotlight. “Spotlight” starred Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams and Michael Keaton. The film was about the Boston Globe uncovering the truth about Catholic pedophile priests. Ann Hornaday from the Washington Post said, “It’s not a stretch to suggest that ‘Spotlight’ is the finest newspaper movie of its era, joining ‘Citizen Kane’ and ‘All the President’s Men’ in the pantheon of classics of the genre.” The night ended with Rock inviting everyone to the BET (Black Entertainment Television)Awards next summer.