Seven groovy movies turning 10 in 2017

Courtesy of IMDB
Courtesy of IMDB

Ten years ago, music greats such as Avril Lavigne, Gwen Stefani and Fergie dominated the radio. Now, there are artists like Taylor Swift, Adele and Selena Gomez who influence the entire world. However, often overlooked are the movies of that time that took over the theater as well.

1. The Bourne Ultimatum

The action-packed Bourne series came out with a third movie in 2007. Matt Damon stars in five movies that each have its own intriguing story. In the first movie, Jason Bourne is found and doesn’t remember anything about his identity or what he’s doing. Throughout the movie, his quest is to further unravel the truth about his identity while traveling through different foreign countries and staying one step ahead of the enemy. If you liked “Deadpool,” then you should watch “The Bourne Ultimatum.”

2. Ratatouille

Pixar created the children’s animated film, “Ratatouille.” “Ratatouille” is about a rat named Remy who has exquisite taste and finds himself helping out a chef who is horrible at cooking. Remy helps cook for the chef by using signals to tell him what to do. The film is a cute story about the friendship between a rat and a human which is suitable for any age. If you liked “Moana,” you should watch “Ratatouille.”

3. Juno

At the age of 16, Juno MacGuff finds herself pregnant after a night with her best friend and admirer. When trying to find a suitable home for her baby, she is forced into the stress of acting like an adult. The film won four academy awards in 2008. Many celebrities such as Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman star in Juno. If you liked “The Edge of Seventeen,” then you should watch “Juno.”

4. Hasirpray

“Hairspray” is a romantic comedy musical, which was made into a film. Many stars such as John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Amanda Bynes, James Marsden, Queen Latifah, Brittany Snow and Zac Efron star in the film. Stacy Turnblad is a hefty high school teen who wants to be on the dance show, The Corny Collins Show. When she gets on the show, she becomes an overnight sensation as she breaks down typical stereotypes. If you liked “La La Land,” then you should watch “Hairspray.”

5. Nancy Drew

Teenager Nancy Drew and her widowed father move to California to help Nancy act more like a normal teenager. She often finds herself investigating crimes which her father feels are too dangerous. When she moves to California she chooses to live in the house of a former murdered movie star. As she uncovers clues and secrets, she is able to uncover the truth about the murder. If you liked “Doctor Strange,” then you should watch “Nancy Drew.”

6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter returns for his fifth year at Hogwarts. After Harry discovered that the Dark Lord was still alive during his fourth year, Harry and his friends struggle to convince everyone that Voldemort is still alive. Over the course of ten years, the Harry Potter movie series has won ten Academy Awards. If you liked “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” then you should watch “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.”

7. Enchanted

Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey star in Disney’s “Enchanted.” The female lead, Giselle, was banished from her magical homeland and was forced into becoming immune to the harsh Manhattan lifestyle. She finds love in the city while trying to find a way home. “Enchanted” was nominated for three Academy Awards and two Grammy awards for the soundtrack . If you liked “Zootopia,” then you should watch “Enchanted.”