The Chainsmokers album review

Courtesy of The Chainsmokers official website
The Chainsmokers debut album.

The Chainsmokers are an EDM-pop duo consisting of Andrew Taggart and Alex Pall. The duo has risen to the top of the charts since their breakthrough song “#Selfie” was released in 2014. Since then, the band has released several Billboard Top 10 songs, won multiple awards including a Grammy and has finally released its debut albumMemories…Do Not Open. Lead single “Paris” was released in January to help promote the album. It peaked at number six on the charts, and The Chainsmokers became the third-ever group to have three simultaneous top 10 hits.

“The One”

“The One” is a ballad based on the personal lives of Taggart and Pall. Although it is a ballad, the group was still able to incorporate EDM elements into the song. I liked the song until the bass dropped towards the end. It did not seem very fitting for the somber mood of the song.

“Something Just Like This”

“Something Just Like This” is one of the best songs on the entire album. The Chainsmokers collaborated with Coldplay to create this catchy hit. The song is about a relationship that does not need to be perfect, but how everyone deserves an ordinary love. The Chainsmokers posted on Facebook that “Coldplay is one of our biggest inspirations and this song was an absolute dream come true to make.”

“Break Up Every Night”

“Break Up Every Night” is one of the faster tracks featured on the album. It is about a relationship where the girlfriend constantly breaks up with the boyfriend, but the two always end up back together. It is very upbeat and was even performed by the duo on “Saturday Night Live” the day the album was released.
  Although I was a little underwhelmed with the quality of songs on this album because so many of The Chainsmokers singles have have been much more successful, it still did have a few tracks that will certainly keep The Chainsmokers at the top of the charts.