Successful dropouts and how to become one

Because we all need a life plan to follow in the aftermath of exams

Have you started studying for exams? You know what… don’t answer that. I’m sorry I even asked. While students’ livelihood may not depend on exam grades, it seems that the very essence of our futures is defined by those 0.02 points that will be cruelly stolen by the tests that are, admittedly, the worst part of the holiday season. But, hark, there is still hope! Many have taken the easy way out that we often joke about — dropping out — and have turned out completely fine. So, in the season of blessings and self-reflection, and maybe a little bit of self-doubt, let’s turn to some successful high school and college dropouts to examine their success, because they are our true role models.

In no particular order, our lineup for exam season inspiration is as follows:

1. Ellen Degeneres.

Degeneres dropped out of the University of New Orleans after only one semester. Now she’s a talk show host who gets to interview celebrities every day. Not too shabby.

2. Mark Zuckerberg

Zuckerberg dropped out of Harvard during his sophomore year. Now he’s the mastermind behind Facebook, as well as an outspoken philanthropist. He may be the reason we don’t get any studying done… but that’s beside the point.

3. Brad Pitt

Pitt dropped out of the University of Missouri just two weeks before graduating. He was set to be a journalist. Now, he’s an A-list movie star who has won countless awards, and he’s participated in World War Z. Hopefully none of us will ever have to do that.

4. Natasha Bedingfield

Bedingfield left the University of Greenwich after one year because she wanted to pursue her career in singing. Now she tours the world to perform for packed audiences. Her life is pretty great, and the rest is still unwritten.

5. Steve Jobs

Jobs is one of the most famous college dropouts. He left Reed College after six months, and went to work on some beat up computers in his garage. Now, he and his business partner Steve Wozniak have single-handedly influenced the age of technology that we live in.  

6. Oprah Winfrey

Winfrey left Tennessee State University a few months before her graduation to take a job in television. She built herself into an industry, and based on her success, she has people thinking, “You should drop out! You should drop out! You all should drop out!”

7. John Mackey

Mackey abandoned the University of Texas after seven years without obtaining a degree. Maybe it was time for him to leave. He went on to create Whole Foods, and has helped make Americans more organic. But vegetables aren’t the only green he’s pullin in.

But college is still awhile away. We need to be assured that we will be okay if we up and leave tomorrow. So, let our minds find solace in the next three dropouts.

1. Walt Disney

Disney dropped out of his local high school when he was only 16 years old. He left to join the Red Cross, and he was sent to France. But he found the happiest place on earth to be only a few miles from our school.

2. Abraham Lincoln

Honest Abe left 6th grade at the ripe age of 12 to help out his family on the farm. Maybe we should all invest in obtaining a farm, because becoming arguably the best president that has ever graced the Oval Office isn’t a small accomplishment. Well played, Abe.

3. David Karp

Karp quit high school when he was fourteen, at his mother’s suggestion, to hone his computer programming skills. Since then, he has founded Tumblr, providing a vehicle for hours of procrastination. What would we do without him.

So the question remains — how do we follow in their footsteps to become successful dropouts? We can develop mad computer programming skills, or find a passion to follow like singing or television (does Netflix count?). In any case, it might prove to be a little difficult to gain the same amount of success as these extremely talented role models. If you don’t have incredible talents that can change the world, it’s probably time to sharpen your number two pencils, and your mind, if you ever want to achieve the success that was experienced by these entrepreneurs and leaders. Or maybe you should just invest in a farm — at least then you can guarantee the ability to be outstanding in your field.