An interview with a not-so average Saint

Oney spends her time playing with and looking after her rescue dog Lilo, which has recently been adopted by a family in Nebraska.
NICOLE ONEY

What stands out about junior Logan Oney is her red hair, but what is not as evident is her heart for rescue animals. She is known for her compassion and desire to help needy animals. Through her pet rescue, Honey’s Haven, she has saved and found homes for eight dogs.

What caused you to start working with dogs?

My sister came back from Texas with a rescued dog from a backyard breeder.  When she came back, she got me into rescuing dogs.  We found a dog on the side of the road named Honey, and she had a disease that was fatal. She died two months later, so that just started it off for us working with rescue dogs.

What makes you so passionate about working with dogs?

They don’t have a voice, and they can’t speak for themselves; so someone has to do it.

What else do you do outside of school?

In a few weeks, I am going to start working at a dog bakery.  I also joined the bowling team because I used to do volleyball, but it was not as fun for me as it used to be.  I wanted a fun junior year, so I decided to join the team.

What is one goal you have after you graduate high school?

I want to get into a college that I am happy in. I want to do something that makes me happy not just do something because it has a good title or becuase I will make money from that.  I want to be happy with what I do.

Do you have any ideas of what is going to make you happy?  Do you think it will have to do with animals?

I know I like doing service, but I don’t really know what field I like.  I like biology, but I will have to see.  I know I want to continue with the dog rescue, but I’m not into the veterinary side. I like helping animals and rehabilitating them.

If you could live in any place in the world where would it be and why?

Probably the United States, but more specifically in Colorado because I love being outdoors.  My favorite place in Colorado is in Grand Lake.  I go there every summer.  It has a small population, and I go hiking or kayaking.  It is so beautiful in Colorado.

What kind of legacy do you want to leave at Trinity?

I want to show my service to the community. I don’t want to leave and have people think, “Oh she didn’t do anything.”  I want to make an impact on people because I run the rescue.