How to fight Senioritis

After my first week of being a second semester senior I’ve watched four movies and binged an entire show on Netflix. I’m going to bed about two hours earlier than usual because I don’t feel like doing homework, and my best excuse is “I’m in college so my grades don’t matter anymore.”

I am not alone in my current study habits (or lack thereof). As college acceptances keep rolling in, and graduation draws closer and closer, many second semester seniors’ motivation to work comes to a screeching halt. Parents and teachers take notice of these changes in attitude and diagnose us with Senioritis.

Senioritis has been around as long as anyone can remember, yet despite many efforts, a complete cure has not be found. However, several treatments have been discovered to help keep the symptoms at a minimum.

Find motivation through your favorite characters.

Obviously Netflix is more appealing than homework. But while you’re binge watching, if you find a character that you think is a good role model, try and find the inspiration to study from them. If they’re successful, they didn’t just get that way. They had to work hard and study, and if you want any hope of being anything like them, you need to work hard too.

Treat yourself

Food is always great motivation to work. If have 30 pages of reading that you put off until the last minute, try and incentivize yourself by giving yourself something to eat. Buy a bunch of candy and stick a piece of at the end of every page that you get when you finish. When you’re completely done, feel free to eat the rest of the bag.