Dog helps dig 17-year-old out of depression

Most teenagers stress about college applications and schoolwork, but 17 year old Brooke Hammock, who suffers from psychotic depression, struggles every day to even get up in the morning. As motivation, her dog, Lily, is always by her side to boost her spirits and keep her moving along.

Hammock lives with her mom and sister, and of course her dog, who she says is her best friend. Lily stays with her at hard times, and is one of Hammock’s number one coping methods for her condition.

“I would have never thought I could have pulled through this far, but I can always talk to her and she listens,” Hammock said. “The perfect thing about it is that she can’t speak, so I don’t have to worry about her spreading the word.”

She has had Lily for almost a year, and says that she can trust her at all times.

“My dog makes me overjoyed with excitement whenever I see her,” Hammock said. “She is always so happy when I come home and that just boosts me up a little bit more.”

Not only did Hammock form a strong bond with her, Lily has also pushed her to become more active and get outside once in a while. In order for her to take care of Lily, she has to take her on frequent walks, which forces her to get out of her room. Most people with Hammock’s condition tend to isolate themselves in their rooms, which can potentially make the feeling of depression worse.

According to American Veterinary Medical Association, people who own dogs are less likely to suffer from depression or anxiety. Even though Brooke suffers, having Lily with her can help her recover.

Brooke’s mother, Karen Hammock, decided to buy her a dog because she wanted what was best for her.

“When I gave her the dog, Brooke was overjoyed with excitement, which I haven’t seen from her in a long time,” Mrs.Hammock said. “Just by her facial expression, I knew I had done something right.”

With Hammock’s mother, sister and dog by her side, she has been able to improve her feelings, and recently, has been more open to talking about her condition with others. She is still working through her symptoms, and it is all thanks to her dog Lily for helping.

“Not only that, Lily loves Brooke,” Mrs. Hammock said. “Which, from my understanding, is something Brooke feels she is lacking from everyone. Lily just loves her forever, and that is just what she needs.”