Orlando Ballet’s exclusive performance paints Blackbox with elegance

The dancers perform “Four Little Swans.”

On Oct. 6, the Freitag & Falk Theater was bustling with white practice tutus and the sound of pointe shoes on Marley floors—the Orlando Ballet company was putting on a performance.

As part of the Patrons of the Arts Danhof Series, students were given an inside look into the creative process behind ballets as part of the Uncorked program. The show included not only sneak peeks for the upcoming performance of “Swan Lake,” but also live choreographing by Orlando Ballet Artistic Director Robert Hill and dancer Arcadian Broad.

“What really [interests] people is seeing how we choreograph our pieces,” Hill said.

As proven by the fascinated faces in the crowd, Trinity students agreed with this conclusion. With an audience ranging from 6th graders to seniors, a chorus of “ooh’s” and “aah’s” could be heard after an impressive lift or a succession of turns.

“Dancers are athletes,” Broad said. “The hardest part is that we have to hide our strength with elegance.”

Many students were pleasantly surprised by the styles of dance performed by the company.

“I learned that it’s not all slow, classical stuff,” junior Trent Bangle said. “They also have very modern dances.”

Dancing to the song “Booty Swing” by Parov Stelar, three pairs of dancers performed lively and silly movements, each displaying their unique takes on the choreography. Broad even lifted partner Kate-Lynn Robichaux like a guitar.

The performance concluded with a question and answer session as the full company sat casually on the stage. The dancers spoke about their backgrounds, aspirations and training regimens.  

Coming from all over the globe, from Spain to Japan, the dancers were united by one thing—their passion for ballet.

“I get paid to do what I love every day,” company apprentice Andre Gallon said.

This is not to say that a ballet career was a lifelong goal for all of the dancers. Some company members took unlikely routes to reach their destination.

Broad spoke of his musical theater career as Billy Elliot on Broadway prior to pursuing ballet. Dancer Anamarie McGinn explained that she started dancing when she was 18 years old. Taylor Sambola joked that she started late as well—at the age of two.

An afternoon characterized by dancing, laughter and plenty of applause, Orlando Ballet’s Uncorked was an eye-opening treat for the Trinity family.

• Anita Boer stuns in an arabesque.

• Robichaux and Broad showcase the miming elements of ballet.

• Boer and Adam Boreland dance a pas de deux from Swan Lake.

• Robichaux and Broad dance to the lively “Booty Swing.”

• Boer and Boreland strike a pose.

• The dancers take a bow.