The final four of the 2016 NBA playoffs

freebracketgenerator.com

We are deep into the NBA playoffs, and there have already been plenty of surprises. The injuries of both stars Chris Paul and Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers extinguished any hope of a redemption from last year’s disappointing post-season as they were eliminated by the Portland Trailblazers in the first round. The Oklahoma Thunder defeated the San Antonio Spurs who held the second best record in the regular season while also tying the all-time home record.

However, the narrative since the beginning of the regular season still remains the same. The Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers are on a collision course to meet each other in the NBA Finals once again. After winning the championship last year, the Warriors are seeking to repeat. They also have something to prove.

Many critics pointed out that in the last year’s playoffs, the Warriors didn’t have to overcome the many challenges championship teams usually have to face. They didn’t have to play the Spurs or the Clippers, who were both dominant teams in the Western Conference. In the NBA Finals, the Cavaliers were plagued with injuries, losing both Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love who constitute two of the “Big 3.”

Fresh off winning a record 73 games this year, Steph Curry of the Warriors won his second consecutive MVP. Meanwhile, the Cavaliers are now healthy, and they have finally found the team chemistry they were sometimes lacking last year. Lebron James is seeking a championship for Cleveland after winning two in Miami. He vowed to bring a title to his hometown, which hasn’t seen any of its sports win a championship since 1964. Until then, he is bound by the media and his fans to his promise. Both teams still have one final obstacle before they meet each other.

The Cleveland Cavaliers and Toronto Raptors are facing off in the Eastern Conference Finals. Meanwhile, the Golden State Warriors and Oklahoma Thunder are battling it out in the Western Conference Finals. Both underdogs are formidable and can pull off an upset over the favorites, adding to the list of surprises this year. An injury to a star player can drastically shift the balances once again. It’s anyone’s game. Who will lift the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy in June still remains a mystery.