eSport Club Starts Super Smash Bros Tournament

The eSports club and the Computer science department are partnering up to create a Super Smash Bros tournament for the students of Trinity Prep in honor of Computer Science week. 

The Super Smash Bros tournament was free of charge and consisted of students of all grades that are interested in playing Smash Brothers, a Nintendo fighting game. The tournament took place in Mr. Burmeister’s room during lunch and follows the tournament style with brackets. The brackets consist of three games and the team that wins two out of three games continue. 

This tournament was created for Computer Science Week, where one week every year, schools are encouraged to create an event that will spark students’ interest in computer science. 

“The whole goal of this is raising awareness for eSports in computer science and that computer science is not just strict programming, and hiding behind sitting behind a keyboard and with dark screens and trying to code things out,” Chief Technology Officer and MS club leader of eSports club Alex Podchaski said. “There’s a little bit of fun involved too” 

This year they focused on eSports in hopes of raising awareness of eSports and its many opportunities, especially with the increase in the popularity of eSports over the years. According to Newzoo, a website on the eSports market and analytics research, by 2024, the global gaming live streaming audience will be 830.3 million, a CAGR of 9.2% over 2019-2024. A bigger audience means more coverage and more opportunities for colleges and careers. 

“And that’s a skill, that’s something that you have to build with the goal that as you know, bringing attention to it, because those are all things that people are interested in and can literally build a career,” Podchaski said. 

As well as raising awareness of the opportunities eSports can bring, this tournament was also created for students to have fun and bond. 

“It’s a nice way to, ironically, bond with other people, because you’d think you’re just playing a game and you’re being competitive, but it’s actually been a great way to meet more people,” Sophomore Jonah Downs said. 

Especially before exams, it is a good way for students to relax. 

“That is the week before exams, there’ll be a little bit of stress, most people like to play a game or two, blow off some steam, get through everything,” Podchaski said. 

This tournament not only is a good way for students to relax but also opens the option of team sports for students that might not enjoy physical activity. 

“One of the things that I like about the concept of esports is that it gives students an opportunity to students who wouldn’t necessarily go out for basketball, football, and opportunity to participate in a team sport, as opposed to just sitting playing a single game,” Podchaski said. 

At the end of the day, The Super Smash Bros tournament will acknowledge the many opportunities eSports bring as well as bring students together to play what they love, video games. 

“Who doesn’t like playing video games? Especially your you guys like people your age? You guys grew up totally in technology” eSports club sponsor Brandon Burmeister said.