Triumph together against terrorism

In this festive holiday season, the nation confronts challenges perhaps not as jolly. On December 7, President Obama made a national address to the American people, following the most fatal terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11. The shootings in San Bernadino were carried out by a radical couple that pledged allegiance to ISIS. Even if the shootings were not directed by ISIS, it demonstrates the influence of the terrorist organization. The organization has grown even more powerful and is even acquiring many followers via the internet. This was only the third time the President has ever addressed the nation from the Oval Office during his presidency. The President addressed many solutions, but they were more of a reiteration of our current path. President Obama plans to continue our policy of airstrikes, special forces and working with local officials to defeat ISIS.

The President’s current solutions are not preventing ISIS’s attack on innocent citizens.  The world has become numb from numerous terror attacks. Just last month, ISIS’s bloodbath in Paris killed 128 people. It is time to take action, but not impulsive action. Our action should not be rash like our response to the 9/11 attacks. We must not be dragged into a long, costly war that drains our resources and creates thousands of casualties on both sides. We must closely collaborate with our allies in Europe, the Middle East and around the world. This international coalition will devise a plan to find the quickest and most efficient way to defeat ISIS at its root.  The local forces and the Kurds should be well coordinated with the coalition. They are especially vital because they know the area the best. They are also aware of the attitudes of the local civilians and can convey these attitudes to the coalition. The support of the local civilians are crucial to stop ISIS from plaguing their homes and the the rest of the world.  Many nations will have to contribute resources equally against this common enemy. Contributions should include not only weaponry and soldiers, but also money to adequately supply this effort. Money is the driving force to winning wars in the modern day era. The more participation and resources we have, the faster ISIS can be permanently vanquished. Speed and efficiency should be stressed in this process. ISIS, unlike many previous terror organizations, is not only a problem in this country, but it is also a global problem. With a common goal and strong determination, the global community can swiftly defeat this terror organization. It is easier said than done. However, the price of safety has never been cheap.