The Kwammentary: Here’s a college essay

Over the past two months, I’ve had the absolutely wonderful opportunity to go through the college process.  In fact, I found the endeavor so delightful that I wrote more college essays than I needed to.  I’ve decided to share one of my extra essays with you all for your enrichment.  Enjoy!

– – –

It all started on one of my mission trips to Nicaragua. I hadn’t even wanted to go on the trip in the first place, to be completely honest. After all, who was going to continue hand-delivering clean food and water to my impoverished community in my absence?

But as with every tough choice in my life, I turned to my family. I thought back to my departed grandmother, who has always been very close to me.  I remembered the final words that spilled out of her chapped lips as her leathery hands held mine against the silky sheets of her deathbed.

“Andrew, you need only follow your heart. That is the way of our people.”

And then the decision was simple. Culture has always been at the forefront of my life, and you can tell that’s true because of my inclusion of an anecdote featuring a wise old familial member giving me advice on the basis of culture.

Besides, I have always followed my heart. From the moment that I was diagnosed with terminal gluten sensitivity as a child, following my heart has been the only option for me. It has led to unforgettable experiences — like eventually saving a family of kittens from a collapsing building on the aforementioned mission trip. Admittedly, however, it has also led to some strange and quirky habits — like calculating the velocity of shopping carts at Costco or checking the physics in action movies.

I know, I know. Not every kid is weird enough to have a habit that can be conveniently used as a device in their college essays to subtly indicate their academic interests. But I am!

People often skeptically ask me if blindly following my heart is worth it. Of course it is worth it. Nothing will ever amount to the unforgettable lessons and culture that the kitten orphanage imparted to me on that mission trip. Helping the underprivileged will always be a priority in my life.

In conclusion, I hope that you will consider admitting me to your school of business.

Signed,

An aspiring Wall Street stockbroker