Fifteen Minutes of Boyce Avenue

Boyce Avenue reaches major heights of success after touring with One Direction.
COURTESY OF DERRIS & COMPANY

Traditionally known for their cover songs on YouTube, Boyce Avenue, made up of three fun-loving brothers, has recently been touring throughout the United States and Canada.  With the release of their second album, No Limits, in late May, the band has had a new wave of success.  The band features a Puerto-Rican/American rock vibe and has covered everything from “Am I Wrong” by Nico & Vinz to “Counting Stars” by OneRepublic.  Two of their more popular songs, “Speed Limit” and “One Life” feature catchy lyrics and a good vibe.  While “Speed Limit” has a faster rhythm, “One Life” gets the attention of the audience with a strong beat.  The Bite had the chance to talk with Boyce Avenue before their show at the House of Blues on November 22nd.

How does performing back home in Florida compare to touring in other parts of the world?

We love touring period, but being able to end our largest United States and Canada tour so close to our hometown is going to be amazing! It’s always fun to see family and friends in the crowd and the House of Blues Orlando has been on our bucket list of venues to play for many years!

What is your favorite venue that you’ve played?

This is a tough question because there have been so many amazing venues, but last spring we were able to start our European tour in Portugal at Lisbon Coliseum – it was one of our biggest European shows to date and it really set the bar high for the rest of our tour.

What are the best and worst parts about working with your brothers? Do you have any differences when it comes to artistic choices?

We really love working together. When it comes to artistic choices, we all respect each other’s opinions and input equally. We work well as a team. The worst part is occasionally being proven wrong, because who(…)likes to be wrong?

Since your online success played such a role in your band’s success as a whole, how do you think the Internet and technological advances will continue to affect the music industry?

The Internet has been an awesome tool for breaking boundaries and really making music available around the world. It’s awesome to see fans from all over the globe share experiences with us online and use YouTube and the Internet as such a strong platform. The Internet has and will continue to change the music industry with streaming services, new apps, and ways we don’t even know yet. It’s pretty incredible.

Any quirky or interesting memories that stand out from your time as a band?

In 2012 we did a tour with One Direction and that was a pretty wild experience. They were great guys and it was a huge learning experience on how to run a show at that scale. The guys are pure class and their crew is just top notch. [The Tour] was truly admirable and their fans are wild.