Golden Globes makes way for a new generation of talent

One of the biggest nights for actors and actresses alike aired on January 11.  From fancy dresses to Hollywood heartthrobs, The Golden Globes is one of the most elegant and classy events of the year.  This year however, the most popular and successful actors and actresses in “must see films” took a step out of the spotlight to shine some light on smaller,but excellent, films. In this day and age, the entertainment industry is all about finding the next “big thing.”  Critics believe that because of America’s obsession with anything other than what is considered “mainstream”, it is bringing in new talent that would have been overlooked otherwise.  Although the big names such as Brad Pitt, Jennifer Lawrence and Leonardo DiCaprio are still important, this year they were not center of attention in Hollywood.

A big topic of chatter has been Boyhood which won three awards including the best drama film of 2014.  Filmed over the course of 12 years, Boyhood is a story about a child growing up and includes the same actors the entire time.  This film brought fame to main character and rising star, Ellar Coltrane, who went from a nobody to a famous Golden Globe recipient practically overnight.

The same could also be said about Grand Budapest Hotel.  Winning best Comedy Motion Picture is such an amazing accomplishment for a film that didn’t get very much recognition prior to award’s night.  This shift from the classic mainstream movie to small unrated motion pictures gives hope to a new generation of aspiring actors and actresses.

Joanne Froggatt and Eddie Redmayne came across the pond to receive Globes.  As Hollywood continues to grow, so does the amount of diversity in the business.  While American actors and actresses will always be relevant, British stars have made names for themselves in America.  The “classic American actor” with the “classic American look” such as Tom Cruise or Bradley Cooper now share the fame with new stars and starlets, changing the look of “the ideal actor” is.  With multiple British award recipients, The Golden Globes brought a whole new wave of talent from places other than the United States. As the entertainment business evolves, so does the way the American people view their idea of “talent.”  With new fads changing daily, it is clear that the “undiscovered foreign actor or actress” is definitely in high demand.  Out with the old and in with the new seemed to be a prominent theme at this year’s Golden Globes, showing the world the future of young talent and film production.