More “Glory” for Bastille

Courtesy of Bastille official website
Bastille’s most recent album titled “Wild World”

With all of the new upcoming artists rising in the charts nowadays, it’s nice to see a band from a few years ago release a new album to revitalize its fan base and grow in the music industry. Dan Smith, the lead singer and the creative mind behind Bastille’s songs, never would have seen himself topping charts in the U.K. and in the United States six years ago. After releasing its first album Bad Blood in 2013, the British band’s popularity saw it skyrocket when the song “Pompeii” gained popularity. Bastille released its second album, Wild World on Sept. 9.

“Good Grief”

“Good Grief” immediately grabs our attention with the first line:

“So, what would you little maniacs like to do first?”

The skills from all the band members contribute to help make the perfect tune. The song was written by band member, Dan Smith. Frontman Smith said in an interview with NME magazine,

“I wanted to write about how bizarre grief and loss are, either literally because someone’s died, or through the loss of a relationship.”

“Glory”

The cheerful beginning of the song sets the tone for the rest of the ballad, which has the potential to top the charts. Lead singer Smith’s vocals are exceptional, on this track. The tone and the style reflect the talent Smith has leaving the listener with a smile across their face.

“The Currents”

It started off with a violin and a beat. “The Currents” is one of the album’s strongest songs. The upbeat song is a very compelling number filled with rich lyrics and reminded me of their previous hit single, “Pompeii.” The moral behind the lyrics is to be careful of what you say because you don’t know how it will affect someone else’s life.

“Way Beyond”

The next song on the list didn’t have the same flare as some of the other songs and lacked strength. “Way Beyond” contains an awkward beat and the background music overpowers Smith’s voice. Although the song can be slow at times, it does have some good parts towards the middle, such as the chorus. The chorus is better than the rest of the song because it is more cheerful.