Will cross-country go the distance?

Over the last few years, one team has run ahead as the most successful squad on campus.

And, boy, have they run ahead.

The boys cross-country team has won three state championships, two state runner-ups, and has had numerous athletes go on to become valuable collegiate runners for their respective universities in the past half-decade.

Besides the boys track and field team, a team that also includes many cross-country runners, no other athletic squad representing the school has won state championships in the last five years, let alone three titles.

From William and Mary’s Ryan Gousse to Auburn’s Griffin Jaworski, Trinity Prep has produced a plethora of elite runners who have led the team to greatness. This is quite surprising when you consider that the school’s entire student body is less than one thousand kids.

Nonetheless, even with the turnover of athletes in the program and the lack of a large student body, the school has exceeded expectations in finding replacements for these former stars.

In fact, this new squad may possibly be even deeper and more talented than any cross-country team in school history.

This team is led by captain Daniel Salas, arguably the best runner this school has ever witnessed.

Salas, who has been a major contributor since his days in middle school, is in his senior year, and ready to lead his team to yet another title.

This season, Salas has been able to capture the school 5k record with a time of 15:17 at the flrunners.com invitational. If you ask Salas, however, his drive and determination to earn new personal records is not for the individual accolades.

“Earning the record is special, but my true goal this year is to win the state title with my teammates my senior year,” Salas said.

And his teammates definitely have his back.

Fellow senior Gordon Pace, juniors Sam Millson and Paul Reggentin, and underclassmen Jesse Millson, Chas Cook, and Tristan Rhodes will be accompanying Salas on this fight to reclaim glory for the XC team. However, this will be no easy feat, as common foe Holy Trinity will be waiting in the shadows.

Despite being more “holy,” this rival hasn’t been able to put a gap between themselves and Trinity Prep’s squad. In the past five years, this rivalry has heated up due to the close competitions, particularly at the state meets. Every season for the past five, Trinity Prep and Holy Trinity have captured either first or second place, with Trinity Prep winning three championships to Holy Trinity’s two.

Last year, Holy Trinity managed to defeat the cross-country team in a thriller at the state meet.

Even though Holy Trinity was considered the favorites to win that title, Trinity Prep was trying to rain on their parade, hoping to capture an upset.

The team faltered, lighting a fire under Trinity Prep’s young, reloaded squad. Their rivals, on the other hand, smell blood in the water, or more appropriately, on the field, and are ready to pounce with their established group of veterans.

Holy Trinity has bested the team in both meetings this season, and are considered the favorites to win the state championship once again. While wins in the regular season aren’t what Trinity Prep is eyeing, momentum has shifted slightly, as they nearly topped their rivals in both outings. These close finishes have showed that Trinity Prep, like the toy of a young child who can’t share, will not be put away easily.

The grand finale is the only match that matters the whole season, and you can bet Trinity Prep’s team is going to be ready.

“Our team is training hard, tapping into our vast potential. We may have failed last year, but things are going to be different this time around,” Salas said.

And even if this group doesn’t accomplish their noble goal, the future of this team looks quite promising.

With eleven returning runners and only four seniors graduating from this year’s varsity squad, the depth and youth on this team is extremely impressive.

Watch out, because this dynasty may just be beginning.