Kelly kick-starts soccer’s rebuilding effort

Kelsie Glinski-Boyd
Kelly has to think on his feet to make a quick play.

After last year’s season ended in disappointment, the boys varsity soccer team seemed to be stuck in a tough situation.

The team, which was dominated by upperclassmen, was about to lose several seniors to graduation. At this point, most teams would begin rebuilding; this squad is simply reloading.

The new season brings a much younger team ready to shake things up within the state soccer hierarchy.

There is one major reason why this squad will have a chance to contend with the state’s best after losing so many key players a season ago, and that reason is senior captain Brendan Kelly.

Kelly has accepted a new role as leader for this year’s young team. “Being a senior and a captain has brought more responsibilities,” he said, “and it’s awesome to be able to be vital in the development of the team as a whole.”

What makes Brendan Kelly such a special competitor? Head coach William Milsten raves, “He’s the complete player. He does everything well… He is very, very dangerous with the ball. A good soccer player is not always the kid who can dribble or can shoot, but it’s the kid who makes the passes, which Brendan can do… There’s no way to stop Brendan.”

Kelly’s dominance often caused problems with opposing defensive schemes. “Brendan is so special that he’s the only player I’ve had in a few years that gets double teamed quite often when we play better schools,” said Milsten. “They were willing to give up a player in the game to keep Brendan Kelly from doing things. That’s how dangerous he is.”

This year, Coach Milsten has adjusted to this added pressure by moving Kelly to a more defensive position. His new position, according to Milsten, “makes it impossible for other teams to double-team him. If they do double-team him that high up, it’s very dangerous for them to do that, so we’re almost challenging them… And he gets a lot more time with the ball.”

Kelly not only excels in moving the offense, but he is also a dangerous scorer.

He enters the season only a few goals away from the all-time school record for goals in a career; however, he doesn’t worry about his individual achievements.

“As cool as it would be to say that I hold that record, I am much more concerned with a successful team effort this year.”

And he’s not just saying that; his actions as team captain show his determination to help the team improve.

“After practice when we’re done and I’m tired from even just coaching, I’m ready to go home. Brendan will go out there, talk somebody into staying, and he will run. He’s that focused and that serious,” Milsten said.

Kelly believes the team’s focus and mentality will allow them to surprise those who have written them off as too young in the upcoming season. “We will be much better than most people think because of the young talent that we have on our team and the mentality we have.”

Milsten agrees. “Mentally, these boys are strong. I mean, they are really listening, they get what we’re doing, they work together well, and they like each other,” he said.

One of the major wild-cards for the team’s success is the goalie position.

Competing for the starting job are sophomores Michael Wartski and Rory Costello.

Coach Milsten said, “I’ve got two boys, both who I already think are already better than I thought they’d be at this point in the year…By next year they’re going to be two of the better goalies in the area. So a lot of progress, but they’re still learners.”

According to Milsten, each candidate brings something special to the position. “Both are better in different ways. Wartski is kind of the smaller, faster, more agile. Rory just comes at you, and he uses his size advantage big time. Rory will come at you not afraid.”

Whoever comes out on top of the goalie competition will certainly affect whether or not the team accomplishes its top objectives.

The team’s first goal is to get the top seed heading into the tournament, which would require beating rivals Bishop Moore and Lake Highland during the regular season.

“We need to be seeded number one because the number one seed in the districts gives us the easier path to advance to states,” said Milsten. “If we’re not (the number one seed) we still need to make it out of the tournament either one or two to advance to regions, and then from there we have a chance.”

The young team’s attitude will have a huge role in propelling them towards their target.

Milsten believes they can use their mentality and chemistry to prove doubters wrong.

“These are a great group of boys. They keep me laughing every day. They love the game; they love the school; they love each other.”

And they would love to keep playing deep into the state tournament.