Muller scores a spot on the Quakes roster

Photo courtsey of San Jose Media Senter
Muller was selected 15th overall in the MLS draft after playing three years for Georgetown.

Trinity Prep has a reputation as a school that produces academic geniuses. Each year, dozens of students attend the top universities in the country to learn. In 2009, there was no exception. The only difference is that a certain student, Tommy Muller, was not only attending Georgetown University to learn, he was given a chance to play collegiate soccer.

Muller was offered a full scholarship to play soccer at Georgetown. He was also being pursued by the University of Notre Dame and other smaller schools. Muller played soccer for three years at Georgetown and helped lead the Hoyas to the 2012 College Cup Final. Unfortunately, they lost to Indiana in the finals one to zero.

Tommy was recently drafted by the San Jose Earthquakes in this year’s MLS draft as the 15th overall selection. Trinity Prep is to thank for the new Earthquakes defender.

Current boys varsity soccer coach William Milsten described Muller as a hard worker. “Tommy works hard at everything he does, be it school or soccer. He is one of the hardest working young people I know.”

Due to his size, Muller must work harder than all of his competitors. Standing at 5 feet 11 inches, he is considered undersized for an MLS defender. He makes up for his size in what Milsten calls his, “bursting speed and leaping ability. They made him play much bigger.”

Muller began his soccer career at Trinity Prep in 8th grade. Prior to the season, his mother spoke to coach Milsten. She wanted to let him know that her son was going to try out for varsity soccer that year. She also noted that she wanted Milsten to not focus on his size, but his skill set.

Milsten was not convinced until he saw Tommy at tryouts. “He sprayed perfect one-touch passes around the field.” Muller was a starter on the team from 8th grade through 11th grade. He did not play his senior year due to an injury.

Muller was a soccer workhorse throughout high school. He managed to play for the school team, a club team, and he was a member of the Florida Olympic Development Program. The ODP is a program for high caliber soccer players. The coaches prepare them to play in college and, in some instances, the Olympic National Team. Muller was a star among his peers on all of these teams.

Muller would work harder than anyone Milsten had ever met. “If we didn’t have practice one day, Tommy would be working out with SSP on the basketball courts” Milsten said. Even though he was far and away the hardest worker, Muller did not strive to be the superstar. His role on the team was to make plays and make other players better. Muller was not the top scorer for Trinity or Georgetown. He was the one that made the play so a different player could score.

One of Milsten’s favorite memories of Muller was during a game at Lakeland. Muller was dribbling the ball when a defender attempted to slide tackle him from behind with the spikes of his cleats pointed at him. He leaped over the defender while keeping possession of the ball. As Muller dribbled away he yelled, “Unlucky!” Milsten happened to hear this and Muller continued to use his catch phrase in other games. “[He said this because] I just beat you but it was because you were ‘unlucky’. He wouldn’t do it to everybody, just the people who were being mean,” said Milsten.

Muller can be compared to Steve Nash of the Los Angeles Lakers. Nash has been playing in the NBA now for 17 years. He has never led the league in points, despite being a two time MVP and an eight time All Star. What Nash contributes are assists. He creates plays and helps his teammates score. Whether it be Dirk Nowitzki or Kobe Bryant, Nash makes players better. This is exactly what Muller did when he played for the Saints or the Hoyas and what he will do for the Quakes.

Muller is bound for greatness in the MLS. He is the most explosive and talented soccer player in Trinity’s history. Between his speed, strength, and agility, he will be a true asset for the San Jose Earthquakes this soccer season. Opposing players will learn to fear and respect Muller when handling the ball. As for the ones that don’t, unlucky.