Keeping up with the Kienles

Meet the family behind the Trinity Prep Lacrosse Program
The Kienle sisters began playing lacrosse together at an early age.
Courtesy of Taylor Kienle

The Kienle family has been heading the girls lacrosse program at Trinity and in the Orlando area for a long time. Academic Technology Integrationist Rita Kienle helped found Trinity’s program in 2012 and currently coaches the Girls Junior Varsity (JV) team. Tom Kienle coaches at Rollins College, along with helping the Girls Varsity lacrosse team. Their daughters, Paige and Taylor, both help lead the new Saints program in the right direction. The family’s dedication to lacrosse can be summed up in one story.

“Paige was actually born on a game day,” Mrs. Kienle said. “It was senior night so there was no way we could let the girls down. It was the only game I’ve ever missed, but Mr. Kienle had to be there. Paige and I were at practice the following Monday.”

Mr. and Mrs. Kienle began working together while they were still in college, coaching youth teams. In 1994, they helped start the boys program at Lake Howell and, in 1997, a girls team. The duo coached together at Winter Park for several years before coming to Trinity and have been coaching with each other for a total of 22 years.

“Mrs. Kienle and I have been invited to 13 weddings of former players, and it means so much to me that they think of us at that very special moment in their lives,” Mr. Kienle said. “I have been the first non-family member to hold several newborn babies, and that is amazing. It is those things that I treasure more about this line of work than any one game, trophy or one lacrosse moment.”

When the Trinity girls lacrosse program was first created, it was immediately thrown into the ring, playing some of the biggest and toughest teams in the state. They are in one of the state’s toughest districts, which is headlined by Winter Park High School (HS), Oviedo HS, Lake Howell HS and Hagerty HS. Mrs. Kienle has helped expand the program to nearly 50 athletes between the JV and Varsity teams, and it continues to grow. Despite placement in a hard district, the team has been able to qualify for post-season play every year thanks to the brilliant coaching of Kienle and Katie Palasz, the head varsity coach.

Because of their parents’ love of lacrosse, Taylor and Paige have both grown up around lacrosse. Taylor, a junior, recently committed to play for her dad at Rollins.

“I am very excited to play for my dad. That’s actually one of the reasons I picked Rollins,” Taylor said. “My dad pushes me so hard. He makes me perform to my greatest potential.”

Mr. Kienle is ecstatic about having the privilege to coach his daughter.

“I am really excited about getting to work with Taylor on a day-to-day basis. It is kind of funny, but I have never been the head coach for either Taylor or Paige,” Kienle said. “I feel like the transition will be easier because my family has always been very involved in what I do at Rollins, and they know many of the girls.”

Taylor is entering her third varsity season and is an essential part of the team’s success. Whether it is a crisp pass, a clutch shot or a hard fought defensive play, she seems to always provide the spark that the team needs.

“Taylor is a natural leader on the field without having to say much,” senior teammate Gracie Gigliotti said. “It’s evident that the younger players look up to her during practice and around school. She knows what needs to be done in order for our team to succeed.”

Paige’s success has been just as evident as Taylor’s. She is entering her third year on the team as well, despite only being a sophomore. She and Taylor make a very intimidating duo on the field.

“I like to think of Paige as our secret weapon,” Gigliotti said. “She is quieter [than Taylor] on the field but aggressive in the way she plays. You wouldn’t expect her to be as good as she is being only a sophomore, but she has been a star player since she was in sixth grade.”

The continuity between the Kienle sisters is one of the main reasons why the girls’ team has been able to get off the ground running early in its existence.

“Being able to play with my sister is the best thing ever,” Paige said. “I couldn’t imagine playing without her. We have this special connection on the field where we know what each other is going to do. I can always count on her to take care of the ball and get the job done.”

No matter what level of lacrosse, high school or collegiate, the mark of the Kienle family has been made on many programs all over the Orlando area and will remain for years to come.

View Comments (1)
Michael Hull
Michael Hull, Managing Editor
Michael Hull is a senior and is entering his fourth and final year on staff. He has risen in the ranks from a lowly staff writer all the way to managing editor this year. When not answering questions from Matthew Halpin, he is the co-commissioner of his fantasy football league, which he has won three times. He also is a huge sports fan, specifically of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Contact at [email protected]

• T

Tara DavidFeb 3, 2016 at 10:19 pm

This is a beautiful article about a very special family ,whom happen to be my cousins .We are so proud of them and all they have done .Thank you for putting this wonderful article together and sharing this story .

Reply