Girls Varsity Basketball team season recap

Alyson Evans
Meredith Lilley shoots a free throw against Masters Academy.

The Trinity Prep Girls Varsity Basketball team ended their season with a record of 8-17. The team’s final game resulted in a loss to the Master’s Academy in a district playoff game. The girls had a very difficult district. The district winners, Lake Highland Prep, ended up repeating as state champions for the second year in a row.
“This season was much [more productive] than last season. I was really sad after the last game but am very proud of the team,” senior captain Lacey Spinks said.
Despite the difficult district, the girls managed to improve on their four-win season a year ago. The team lost no seniors from the previous year, which made it easier for the girls to feel comfortable with each other quickly.
“We had some new players this year and the comradery was greater than ever before,” senior captain Meredith Lilley said. “We were really close as a team.”
The team will be losing both Spinks and Lilley, as well as senior Cassie Veneziano. All three have been members of the team since at least their sophomore years and are all veteran starters. Although the three are significant losses, the team still has a very young and talented core with a very bright future ahead of them.
“If the girls put in the work next year, they could have a very [successful] season next year,” Spinks said.
Although the district is one of the toughest in the state, the Trinity Prep girls could make a serious run at it next year.