Our fantasy football picks: the good, the bad, and the ugly

The start of the school year begins slowly and painfully for most students. However for many, the start of school also means the start of football. The start of the NFL season comes in September, but for millions of fans around the globe, the fantasy football season has already begun. As a two-time champion in a Trinity Prep fantasy league, I know that leagues are won and lost on draft day. With that in mind, new staff writer Drew Miller and I analyzed at fantasy rankings and chose our favorite and least favorite players at each position. We don’t talk about guaranteed studs such as Todd Gurley or Antonio Brown, but rather sleepers you can pick up in later rounds.

Quarterbacks We Love in 2016:

Michael- Kirk Cousins (Redskins)

Cousins finished as the seventh best quarterback (QB) a year ago, 10 points behind Aaron Rodgers. He is being drafted as the 14th QB across most sites, and I believe that you could get a top 10 QB out of him. He has one of the easiest schedules in football this year and an offense that is surprisingly strong. If you pair him and Tom Brady, who is suspended for four games, and you could have a top five option.

Drew- Tyrod Taylor (Bills)

While Taylor has a limited track record, he showed flashes of his immense potential in his first season as a NFL starter. He finished second in rushing yards by a quarterback, just behind the MVP Cam Newton. Pairing Taylor with an experienced quarterback would be smart given his limited track record and injury history.

Quarterbacks We Hate in 2016:

Michael: Ben Rothlisberger (Steelers)

While I think Big Ben will put up solid numbers, I don’t agree with where he is being drafted. In many drafts he is going ahead of Saints hall of fame QB Drew Brees. He is missing his number two receiver, his all pro running back and possibly his tight end for at least four weeks each. He has only played all 16 games in a season three times in his career. He is not worth his asking price.

Drew: Andrew Luck (Colts)

While most people think Luck will return to his 2014 form, I think his performance last season could be similar to his stats this year. In his best year the AFC South was at best a joke, which lead to his inflated numbers that year. In 2014, he averaged a significantly higher amount of points per game versus division foes than against other teams, but this year that should change because of the rise of many young teams in the division.

Running backs We Love in 2016:

Michael: Jamaal Charles (Chiefs)

This one may seem obvious, as Charles was once a fantasy stud just two years ago. The issue is his injury history, and he is returning from his second torn ACL. That’s why he has been slipping in drafts. Charles had the second most fantasy points among backs through the first month of 2015, before the injury sidelined him. Expect Jamaal Charles to return to that elite form this year.

Drew: Lamar Miller (Texans)

I love Lamar Miller for one reason this year-workload. He has always had the talent to be a RB1, but Lamar has never had the carries in Miami. This is the year he can put it all together and be a top tier back.

Running backs We Hate in 2016:

Michael: Demarco Murray (Titans)

Demarco Murray is not a good football player. He had a breakout season behind the best offensive line in football, and that’s it. After a horrid stop in Philly, he’s now in Tennessee where he will be splitting time with rookie Derrick Henry. He will repeat his Philly performance. Oh, and also he’s not a good football player.

Drew: Carlos Hyde (49ers)

Many are touting Hyde as a sleeper this year because of the system Chip Kelly runs, but I believe the system is why he will be a bust. Kelly uses many runs to the outside, but Hyde is a downhill runner who doesn’t have the speed nor the lateral quickness to break runs toward the sideline. Hyde will be the next Demarco! DO NOT DRAFT!

Wide receivers We Love in 2016:

Michael: Brandin Cooks (Saints)

“Speed” and “explosiveness” are the two words that immediately come to mind when Brandin Cooks is mentioned. He is the number one receiver for hall of famer Drew Brees. He had a great year last season, and I believe he will continue his success. He has the potential to finish as a top 10 option.

Drew: Stefon Diggs (Vikings)

Diggs is a very athletic player who will thrive in the improved Vikings offense. He showed flashes of greatness last year, and he is a good sleeper pick that could become a quality starter and could add big play potential on your team.

Wide receivers We Hate in 2016:

Michael: Alshon Jeffery (Bears)

Injuries have plagued Jeffery’s production in the past and will continue to do so this season. Jeffrey played just nine games last season and already has injury concerns for this year. He is being drafted as the 10th WR on average, which is absurd. He is also playing with a very inconsistent quarterback, Jay Cutler. Jeffrey has all the skills necessary to be an elite wideout, but he can’t stay healthy. I don’t recommend drafting Jeffrey until at least round four or five.

Drew: AJ Green (Bengals)

AJ has all the qualities and intangibles to be a superstar wide receiver. He has been plagued by injuries and a lack of consistency. Some weeks he demonstrates his talent and puts up big stats, but other weeks he disappears in the Bengals offense. He has a first round average draft position which is high given his lack of consistency on a week-to-week basis. Tread carefully when drafting AJ. Believe me, I have been burned many times by his poor performance.