The history of the Super Bowl

More than 71,000 people stood on their feet, shouting and cheering at the top of lungs in San Francisco at Levi’s Stadium. Millions watched at home as the Carolina Panthers took on the Denver Broncos in the 50th edition of one of America’s most beloved traditions, the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl has given sports fans some of the best plays and moments throughout history. Before all those moments however, there was Lamar Hunt.

Hunt was the founder of the American Football League(AFL) and the reason why the Super Bowl exists today. The NFL and the AFL both played separate championships until the late 1960’s when the met together to work out a deal to combine leagues. To make the merger successful and known, the two leagues would each send their champion to a final game. When it was time to name this game, Hunt struck again with the name “Super Bowl.” The name was inspired by his children’s new toy, called a super ball.

The first Super Bowl was between the Green Bay Packers, led by legendary coach Vince Lombardi, and the Kansas City Chiefs. The Packers won the inaugural game with a score of 35-10. That game kicked off the next 50 years of touchdowns, victories and heartbreaks. From the Steelers winning six Super Bowls to John Elway leading the Broncos to five Super Bowls, losing three straight.

The Cowboys and 49ers each have five championships under their belt, but the Patriots dynasty led by Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are coming up hot, winning four since the turn of the century. They have a chance to make it again this year, as the Super Bowl goes to Houston for Super Bowl 51. Player’s legacies are made in the game, from quarterbacks like Brady to defenders like James Harrison and even kickers like Adam Vinatieri. Peyton Manning added to his legacy last year in San Francisco, as his Broncos took down the Panthers in his final game before retirement.

All of these players, teams, and moments would not have happened if it wasn’t for the man who inspired it all, Mr. Lamar Hunt. If it was not for him, professional football would not be the sport it is today.