Middle schooler smashes a spot on the varsity team

Catherine practices serving before her match against Circle Christan School.
Alysia Garcia

Middle school student Catherine Pattillo steps up to the tennis courts, ready to play a match against one of her upper school teammates. This may seem intimidating for many, but for Pattillo, this is just another day at practice.

Catherine is an 8th grader, who is a part of the varsity tennis team. She works very hard and practices as often as four times a week.

Catherine’s team consists of people much older than she, but that didn’t stop her from joining. In fact, Catherine believes the varsity team not only has more opportunities, but also a great group of people who are welcoming and inviting.

“I think it’s like a big family and I love being a part of it,” Catherine Pattillo said. “I have made so many friends and gained a lot of new hitting partners.”

She has been on the varsity team since 6th grade, but could not play her first year due to an injury. She fractured her wrist, which was a huge setback for her.

“I couldn’t hit a ball at all so I just did footwork drills and leg strength-building exercises with my coach until I could hit a ball,” Catherine said. “It helped a lot with endurance and stamina when I came back, though.”

One person she can thank for her success is her mother, Elizabeth Pattillo. Elizabeth has supported Catherine ever since the beginning, and she knows her daughter is in good hands at practice.

“The girls on the team have always been very kind and considerate to Catherine and quickly made her their friend and welcomed her from the start,” Elizabeth Pattillo said. “She has made some very good friends, and I am forever grateful to the girls for their kindness to her and for making her a real part of the competition and spirit of the team.”

Her coach, Tim Lynch, works with her very often, and Catherine says he is one of the main reasons she has come so far.

“Catherine puts in a 110 percent each week, which is one of the main reasons she belongs on varsity,” Lynch said. “I think the combination between her positive attitude and her dedication makes her a perfect addition to the team.”

Lynch commends Catherine for all her hard work, and Catherine looks forward to another year of continuing her commitment to the team.