Golden Globes steals the “Spotlight”

Where is one place that you can see both TV and movie actors under one roof? The Golden Golden Globes, of course! From the beautiful dresses of Jennifer Lawrence to the hilarious antics of Ricky Gervais, the Golden Globes is one of the biggest events of the year. Even though many of us were upset to hear that Amy Poehler and Tina Fey weren’t hosting this year, Gervais hit it out of the park with his dry, British humor. The host wasn’t the only one cranking out the jokes, as the hopefully soon-to-be dynamic duo, Lawrence and Amy Schumer, had some jokes of their own. Now it might seem that the night was full of laughter, but like any award show, it still had its up and downs.

The hot topic has been The Revenant winning three Golden Globes including the Best Drama Film of 2015. Not only does Oscar winner Alejandro González Iñárritu direct this movie, but it also features hopeful Oscar winner Leonardo DiCaprio. DiCaprio plays a frontiersman who suffers a severe bear attack while trying to survive in the uncharted wilderness. To show that DiCaprio really wants to finally get an Oscar, he ate raw bison, swam in frozen rivers and slept in an animal carcass to prepare for his role.

The film, Spotlight, had the honor of being the first film mentioned in Gervais’s monologue, but sadly the film went home empty handed. Many believed this critically acclaimed film would be the sure winner of the night, but sadly for Spotlight, Revenant stole the show. This wasn’t the only disappointment of the night, as Schumer lost to Jennifer Lawrence for Best Actress in a Comedy. This was surely a shock not only because this was Schumer’s first big film, but she also wrote the script. The rest of the night for film was quite predictable as Matt Damon won Best Actor in a Comedy for Martian and Inside Out took best Animated Feature Film.

The TV industry also had its surprising turns for the night, but Amazon’s Mozart in the Jungle had one of the best evenings. Mozart in the Jungle took home one of the biggest awards of the night for Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy. They beat out fellow Amazon show Transparent, Hulu’s Casual, Netflix’s Orange is the New Black and HBO’s Silicon Valley and Veep. Veep ran into another disappointment when Julia Louis-Dreyfus lost the Best Actress in a TV Series, Comedy or Musical. This wasn’t only a disappointment to HBO, but to fans as well. The last awards for TV were what every fan predicted – Jon Hamm won Best Actor in a Drama Series and Taraji P. Henson took Best Actress in a Drama Series for her role in Empire.