Sia’s struggle with stage fright

Sia hides her face from the cameras view.
Courtesy of RCA records
Sia hides her face from the camera’s view.

You probably know artist Sia Furler by her platinum blonde wig, rather than her face. She’s one of many stars that struggle with stage fright and other less positive side effects of being famous.
Sia had her first taste of fame in 2005 when her song “Breathe Me” appeared in the last scene of HBO’s “Six Feet Under.” Although her manager immediately began talking about a tour, Sia was uncomfortable with the idea of becoming famous. Instead, she wanted to live a private life without people harassing her for photos and comments. At one point during her tour she even dressed herself and her band in all black costumes and masks so that the audience couldn’t see their faces. While struggling with her newfound fame, Sia became increasingly dependant on alcohol and drugs.
Finally, Sia was able to escape her downward spiral. Her new manager, Jonathan Daniel, suggested that she write songs for other artists. She found huge success without the unwanted attention that came with it. In June of 2014 she released her first album, “1000 Forms of Fear,” since 2010. Now she’s known for hiding her face on the red carpets and not appearing in her own music videos, which has worked out for the outgoing Maddie Ziegler. Ziegler has become her new “face”.
Sia isn’t alone when it comes to stage fright and social anxiety. Adele has said that she often vomits before shows because of anxiety. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) says that the fear of performance can have huge effects on an individual’s self-esteem.
“Many, including seasoned professional performers, suffer in silent terror,” according to ADAA’s website.
Eddie Van Halen was only able to perform after a cigarette and a glass of scotch. Barbra Streisand suffered from social anxiety and disappeared from the music scene for decades after forgetting the words to a song during a concert in 1967.
Ziggy Stardust was David Bowie’s alter ego for years. Much like Ziegler did for Sia, Stardust took attention away from Bowie. Bowie said, “I’m not particularly a gregarious person. I had an unbearable shyness; it was much easier for me to keep on with the Ziggy thing, off stage as well as on. Who was David Bowie and who was Ziggy Stardust? It was motivated by shyness.”
Plenty of people struggle with shyness, and apparently some of your favorite artists aren’t exceptions! Sia is inspiring people everywhere push through their fears. If you want to hear more of the camera shy, but very talented artist, her new album comes out on January 29th, be sure to check it out!