Sia’s album makes you feel “Alive”

Sias latest album, This Is Acting
Courtesy of Sia’s official website
Sia’s latest album, “This Is Acting”

“Quirky” is a word often used to describe Sia, the 40-year-old Australian singer/songwriter who has seen massive success since the release of her album 1000 Forms of Fear. Not only do we associate her with quirkiness, but many know Sia from her hit song “Chandelier.” The song had massive success globally and it was paired with a hit music video starring “Dance Moms” Maddie Ziegler. Before her breakout solo hit, Sia had a career in electronic style music in the early 2000s. She finally found her voice as a famous pop star with “Breathe Me,” but her greatest fear came true, having to be in the spotlight. Since then, Sia has had to learn how to be a great performer while dealing with her stage fright. Luckily, she hasn’t let it get in her way of making great music.

“Reaper”

When I saw the song title “Reaper,” I immediately thought it was going to be a broody and dark song, but then I listened to it. Not only is it catchy and snappy, but it’s written by the one and only Kanye West. “Reaper” is by far my favorite song on the album because I can listen to it at anytime. It also helps that Kanye West wrote it because of his diversity in the music world.

“Alive”

If you enjoy her hit “Chandelier,” then you will be hitting the repeat button when listening to “Alive.” Not only does it share very similar aspects to “Chandelier,” but the ultra-talented Adele wrote it. It was originally meant for Adele’s album 25, but luckily for Sia it didn’t make the final cut.  I’m actually very happy that Adele didn’t end up using Alive because Sia’s voice works perfect with the tone.

“Footprints”

“Footprints” might be a bit too cheesy for me with its very mainstream lyrics. But you can’t ignore the fact that this song was originally written for the Queen Bee, Beyoncé. As much as I would have loved Beyonce to sing this, Sia does a solid job, despite the song sounding different than her typical style.

“Broken Glass”

“Broken Glass” is a glorious and powerful song. Even though it is a bit long, it keeps you on your feet with its dramatic changes. Sia really steps out of her shell by doing a song that’s less electronic. The lyrics are a bit mainstream like “Footprints,” but don’t be worried, as it still has its classic Sia quirkiness.