“Mama Said” to listen to Lukas Graham’s new album

The new album cover for Lukas Graham
Courtesy of Copenhagen Records
The new album cover for “Lukas Graham”

You may have been hearing the name Lukas Graham recently.  Lukas Graham Forchammer is the lead singer of the band “Lukas Graham” who have just released their first full album, also named “Lukas Graham.”  The band was off to a great start after their song, “7 Years,” reached number two on “Billboard’s Hot 100” when it was released early.  “Lukas Graham,” released April 1, has a variety of fast and slow beats, all spotlighting the lead singer’s unique sound.

“Mama Said”

When you first turn this song on, you may get it confused with “It’s A Hard Knock Life” from “Annie: The Musical.”  But the chorus of kids singing in sync soon fades to Lukas Graham Forchammer sing-talking motivational lines about everything being okay while the rest of the band plays a catchy beat in the background.  Although you may be annoyed by the kid’s choir, I found this song rather catchy and easy to sing along to.

“Drunk In the Morning”

“Drunk In the Morning” is my favorite song on the album, mainly because it is probably one of the more upbeat songs.  Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate most of Lukas Graham’s melancholy songs, but it’s nice to hear something different from them.  The song features a catchy chorus with a strong beat that almost gives off a jazz vibe.  If you are looking for something to listen to as you struggle to get out of bed in the morning, then this one is for you.

You’re Not There”

Featuring a steady beat throughout, this song will have you tapping your feet to the rhythm.  This song is slightly slower than some of the other songs on the album, such as “Drunk In the Morning.”  The lyrics, such as “I never got to say goodbye, I wish I could ask for just a bit more time,” gives the song a somber mood.  Forchammer sings about the pain he feels after losing a loved one. Although it’s not quite possible to tell if it is a parent or significant other, the pain is one many of us can relate to.