Fourth time’s the charm: Nick Viall continues his quest for love on ‘The Bachelor’

The Bachelor logo
Courtesy of ABC
“The Bachelor” logo

Many Americans would consider being on the TV show “The Bachelor” just one time a desperate attempt to find love. But competing on the show four times is a whole new level of desperation. On August 30, it was announced that Nick Viall would be the next bachelor on the TV show’s 21st season starting in January. This came as a surprise to many devoted fans of the show. Luke Pell, the runner-up on JoJo Fletcher’s season, was the likely candidate, but was beat out by a four season veteran of the show.

Nick Viall made his first appearance on the hit TV show on Andi Dorfman’s season in 2014 where he was runner-up. One year later, Viall was invited by then Bachelorette, Kaitlyn Bristowe, to join her season during the fifth episode. This invitation by Bristowe caused a lot of drama due to the fact that Viall was on the show on the previous season of “The Bachelorette.” Despite the drama, Viall still managed to get second-place, again.

After receiving second place not once, but twice, Viall was cast for a spin-off TV show called “Bachelor in Paradise.” While the season of Bachelor in Paradise was still airing this year it was announced that Viall would become the next bachelor. This not only spoiled the show because it told fans that Viall did not find love in paradise, but it also shows how desperate he is to find love and continue his so-called fame.

People in our society will do anything to extend their fame for as long as possible, and Viall is the perfect example of this. After appearing on the show one time and not finding love, he should have moved on from the reality TV path and gone another way in hopes of finding love. Viall seems to not care about his rejection being broadcast to the public eye, and it is safe to say that he enjoys the attention.

Some fans feel bad for Viall because he has been so close to finding love on numerous occasions, but to me it is just an act of desperation. I disapprove of ABC’s decision of casting Nick Viall as the bachelor and think it would have been a better decision to cast someone new.