Young the Giant and Cold War Kids rock up Orlando

Courtesy of Young the Giant’s official website
Cover of Young the Giant’s third studio album.

Many know the famous song “Cough Syrup,” but actually don’t not know the inspiration behind the song. Young the Giant released “Cough Syrup” back in 2010 and now they have released their third album “Home of the Strange.” In honor of their third album, Young the Giant has been touring across North America with an equally as famous band, the Cold War Kids. The Bite was able to check both bands out at Hard Rock Live in Orlando.

The Cold War Kids started off the night with a bang. They came out performing one of their most famous songs, “Love is Mystical.” By playing this song first, they were able to get an upbeat vibe for the rest of the night. The two songs to follow seemed to be  their lesser known songs since no one in the crowd knew them. To pick up the pace again, they played their iconic song “Hang Me Up To Dry.” This song claims its fame for being featured in the first seasonof the hit TV show “Gossip Girl.” To the end the night for the Cold War Kids, they performed my favorite song by them “First.” This was the perfect way to end the night by getting the crowd ready for the main act Young the Giant. The Cold War Kids were my favorite performance of the night because even when they performed live, they sounded just like their recorded songs.

After the amazing performance by the Cold War Kids, Young the Giant finally took the stage. Young the Giant had some large expectations set for them, and they were able to live up to it. My first thought of their performance was the spectacular visual effects. The visual effects were able to change the mood throughout the concert, differing for each song. The first song to be performed was “Amerika.” Lead singer, Sameer Gadhia, took the time to appreciate all immigrants and their worth in this country, since “Amerika” is about immigration and finding one’s place in this world. “Cough Syrup” was the crowd pleaser of the night. Before the song, Sadhia thanked the fans who’ve been there since the beginning, and everyone knew that “Cough Syrup” was the next song. The whole crowd chimed in singing every word and line of the song making the night feel even more amazing. To end the night, they finished off with “My Body.” Like “Cough Syrup,” this was an earlier song that wasn’t from their new album. I thought ending the night with another crowd pleaser was perfect, having the fans leave happy and nostalgic.