“Blade Runner 2049” is a glimpse into the future of movies

Cover of the Blade Runner 2049
Courtesy of the “Blade Runner 2049” official website
Cover of the “Blade Runner 2049”

“Blade Runner 2049has a familiar atmosphere; not only for longtime fans of the original film, but for newcomers as well. A polluted and crowded Los Angeles glows with neon lights, holographic advertisements and the taillights of cars soaring through the air ahead. Los Angeles is not portrayed as it would be in a typical futuristic movie, but rather as it would in real life. Crime is through the roof, overpopulation has forced many to the shack-ridden outskirts of the city, and global warming has resulted in an almost permanent drizzle. It is a dingy world, but a believable one.

This future was made possible through the use of replicants: genetically engineered slaves who are identical to humans on the outside, but possess increased strength, stamina, and intelligence. The only purpose of a replicant is to obey, and due to the replicants’ usefulness, they have integrated into society as slaves, servants, and employees. K, one of these replicants, works as a blade runner, a hunter appointed with tracking down rogue replicants and eliminating them. On one of these missions, he discovers the hidden remains of a pregnant replicant, a dangerous secret not thought possible, launching a neo-noir, thought provoking journey that poses this question: What does it mean to be human?

The film’s nearly three-hour run time prompts parts of the movie to be sluggish and has proven intimidating for many viewers as it struggles in the box office. However, the overall tempo of the movie is good and justifies taking a trip to the movies for an eighth of your day. The cinematography and visuals are some of the best Hollywood has ever seen, as well as the score and sound editing being impeccable. The costume and makeup design is true to the original film, while echoing the trends of fashion today. All in all, “Blade Runner 2049” is a sure bet as a film, and a serious contender for the Academy Awards.  

View Comments (1)
Cameron Miner, Photo and Graphics Department
Cam Miner is a senior looking forward to a second great year on the Trinity Voice staff. He is a photographer, graphics artist, read ad producer, and critical construction ace. In his free time he eats, sleeps, works on Film-Fest, practices sitting, looks at his vintage 1973 Marlon Brando Bobblehead, and meditates in the forest. Contact at [email protected].

• J

JefferyNov 6, 2017 at 10:33 pm

good reviwe

Reply