Around the world this summer

Teachers and students see the world

Each year, Trinity teachers sponsor spring break and summer trips for the students to see the world.  The students have fun with their friends while experiencing some of the most interesting countries in the world.  From Greece to Asia, the possibilities for the 2015 trips are endless. History teacher Bill Milsten is bringing students to Greece, art teacher Dawn Ferguson is taking students to Japan, and photography teacher Ryan Bowden is holding a photography trip in Asia.

Japan

In mid-June, Ferguson is taking 20 students to Japan for nine days.  This is Ferguson’s first time taking students on this trip.

They will explore Japanese culture, food and lifestyle.  The trip begins in Tokyo, and the group travels to Kyoto and Nagasaka. They will also visit many temples, shrines and museums.

The students will also take a visit to the large bronze Buddha and go to a huge zoo in Japan with hundreds of deer.  During the nights on their stay, they will go on walking tours and see the more unique parts of the Japanese culture.

Ferguson said that she and most of the students are most excited for the Japanese food that they will be eating.

“[The trip will be] an overwhelming cultural experience because Japan is so unlike any other countries,” Ferguson said.

Southeast Asia

During the summer, Bowden is taking students to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos for a 15 day photography trip.

The trip begins in the capital of Cambodia, Phnom Penh.  There the students will visit the Royal Palace and the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, which is a former school and then a prison.

At night, the students will go on a cruise visiting the Mekong and Tonle Sap rivers.  Next, the students will travel to the rural city of Battambang where they will have the chance to take pictures in the countryside.  The students will then visit Angkor Wat where they will be able to explore the temples and have a traditional dinner that night in Cambodia.  Next, the students make their way over to Laos, where they begin in Luang Prabang.  There, the students will take photos and be able to take an elephant ride throughout the jungle.  Next, the students make their way to the Vietnamese city of Hanoi.  There, they will see Confucius’ Temple of Literature and be able to explore the history of the Vietnam War.  This trip is filled with photography and amazing history of three interesting countries.

Greece

This summer, Milsten is bringing 25 students to Greece for 18 days.  This is Milsten’s fifth time bringing students on the Greece trip.  The trip begins with a four-day cruise on the Aegean Sea.  The cruise will visit Mykonos, Kusadasi, Patmos, Rhodes, Crete and Santorini.  Mykonos has some of the most beautiful white houses, clear blue water and windmills.  Although the students spend most of their time in Greece, they do make a one day stop in Turkey.  They also see where the New Testament was written in Patmos and get to see one of the best preserved ancient cities in the world.

They will next make their way to Crete and then Santorini, which Milsten described as “the gem of the Aegean.”

One of the highlights in Santorini is riding donkeys up to the top of a cliff with a breathtaking view.  The view overlooks a town where all the water is sparkling blue and the buildings are white.  Some other highlights of this trip, according to Milsten, are going to Tolo where the students can stay on the beach and relax.  Next, the students will spend a lot of time in Greece’s capital, Athens.  One of the highlights in Athens is a rooftop dinner overlooking the Acropolis.

“[I’m most excited about] enjoying the natural beauty and rich culture with my friends in such an amazing country” sophomore Brandon Israel said.

This trip is filled with lots of ancient Greek history, Greek culture, meeting and spending time with Greek people and tons of local food.