The Next Steps for Marvel

The release of Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame was probably more successful than anyone could have hoped for. Already grossing over $2.49 billion worldwide, Avengers: Endgame has become the second highest grossing film of all time behind Avatar. The movie was well-received among many and provided a new plot that served to wrap up loose ends from the previous year’s Infinity War. Now that Endgame has been released and multiple critical changes have occurred with the beloved characters, many fans are left wondering what comes next in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Though most are in the distant future, Marvel has plans to release a slew of films that will shape what is known as Phase 4.

Spider-Man: Far From Home

The much anticipated sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming (released in 2017) will be released on July 2. After playing a pivotal role in both Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame, Peter Parker’s story will pick up right where Endgame left off. The story follows Peter to Europe for a school trip where he supposedly teams up with Mysterio to battle beings from another dimension. Far From Home will culminate Phase 3 of Marvel’s production plan and will be the last MCU movie of 2019.

Black Widow

Though there is not much known about the upcoming Black Widow film, it has been put back on the production list for Marvel after it was dropped a few years ago. Following the success of Captain Marvel, Marvel’s first female-lead superhero film, rumor claims that the Black Widow movie will be released in May of 2020 with filming beginning this June. The story will likely chronicle Black Widow’s origin and events of her past.

The Eternals

So far in the MCU, the Eternals have not been mentioned. In the Marvel Comics, the Eternals are a group of celestial beings with ties to humanity. Many of the characters are inspired by or based off of Greek mythological figures. Though cast members are not yet confirmed, Angelina Jolie, Kumail Nanjiani and Richard Madden are currently slated to play leading roles. The Eternals is set to be released most likely in 2020.

Sequels for multiple characters have been confirmed beginning in 2021, such as Black Panther 2, Dr. Strange 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Marvel also plans on releasing three Marvel TV series on their new streaming platform Disney+ coming out in November of 2019. These series will consist of “Loki”, “WandaVision”, and “Falcon and Winter Soldier.” Beyond the barest details, not much is known about the series except for the fact that they will star the same actors that play them in their respective films.