Christmas Trees Over Autumn Leaves

Maxi de la Fuente

As the leaves begin to fall and the air turns crisp, a subtle transformation sweeps through our lives. The world shifts its focus towards the approaching holiday season, but rather than hanging up fall decorations for Thanksgiving, Christmas decorations are hung instead. This yearly phenomenon has many wondering if society focuses on material things, particularly during Christmas time, and may sometimes overlook Thanksgiving.

Sophomore Ajay Maniar looks forward to Christmas all year round, and he believes the holiday cheer is much preferred over Thanksgiving.

“I like Christmas because of the whole season, the festivities, the cheer, it’s cold outside and all the decorations,” Maniar said.

Walk into any department store, and it’s very likely to see Christmas trees, ornaments, and Santa Clauses as early as August. The commercialization of Christmas has transformed the holiday into a season of gifts, sales and shopping sprees. Maniar puts up his Christmas decorations the week of Thanksgiving in November. The average American puts up their Christmas tree 4.5 weeks before Christmas, which comes in right after Thanksgiving.

The cultural and entertainment industries also play a significant role in propelling Christmas into the light. The remembrance of Christmas-themed movies, music and advertisements during the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving creates an environment of Christmas cheer.

The duration of celebration is another factor. Christmas celebrations seem to extend for a longer period, from early November to the end of December, creating an extended atmosphere of festivity, while Thanksgiving revolves around a single day of eating and appreciation.

“Thanksgiving is not as much fun as Christmas and we only have two weeks off school so like, okay, yeah. They’re also just so close together. I think people would just prefer Christmas.

Thanksgiving is a holiday meant to celebrate gratitude, family and the simple joy of being together. Yet, in today’s fast-paced world, the value of Thanksgiving seems to diminish even though many people are home for Thanksgiving rather than Christmas. As society becomes more focused on accumulating gifts, we risk neglecting the essential practice of expressing gratitude and cherishing moments together.

“It’s just consumerism gifts,” Psychology Teacher Mike Brown said. “ Like, I don’t know of any Thanksgiving songs. But people lose their mind over Christmas. Maybe there’s something like imperialism subconsciously that people are scared of. I don’t want to celebrate the murder of all of the Native Americans.”.

Flashy Christmas ads and early shopping sprees change the atmosphere during the holiday season. In a post-COVID world, holiday shopping has shifted to online shopping, also placing a statement in our society.

Our consumer-driven society places a significant emphasis on material wealth and the act of giving and receiving material gifts. The flurry of Black Friday sales, Cyber Monday deals and holiday discounts reinforces the idea that our worth is tied to our ability to buy and exchange material possessions. 

The convenience and accessibility of online shopping have revolutionized the holiday shopping experience. The freedom of browsing and purchasing gifts from the comfort of home has transformed the way people approach the holiday season. 

The trend towards online shopping has not only changed consumer behavior but has also reshaped the retail industry. Many stores have extended their shops to the digital realm, recognizing the shift in consumer preferences. 

Consumers can shop on-the-go, anytime and anywhere, with just a few taps on their smartphones. This seamless accessibility and the ability to compare prices and products swiftly have contributed to the surge in online shopping for Christmas.

The rise of online shopping has been further accelerated by the impact of the global pandemic. The uncertainty and restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 crisis pushed more consumers towards online shopping as a safer alternative to in-person store visits, solidifying its place as the preferred method for holiday shopping.

Although online Christmas shopping gains momentum, there are some concerns. The shift from physical stores to digital marketplaces raises questions about the future of stores and their role during the holiday season. Moreover, the human connection and the festive aspects of in-store shopping may be missed in the rush for convenience.

It’s crucial to have a balance between the two holidays. Christmas, with its gift-giving and festivities, is a time for celebrating the joy of sharing. However, it’s also important to remember that the true spirit of the season is about giving, not just receiving. Thanksgiving, on the other hand, is a time to reflect on the meaningful aspects of life: family, friends, and the blessings we often take for granted.

“I think that at Christmas, there’s a lot more opportunities to give and receive stuff,” Maniar said. “There’s so many more events like going to Christmas parties…Thanksgiving doesn’t really have those kinds of parties.”