The Briefs: Women’s march

Sunday, Jan. 21 marked the second year that demonstrators gathered for the Women’s March, protesting for women’s rights and equality in response to the current political and social climate. All across America, millions gathered to show their support for the movement. Cities like New York City and Los Angeles saw turnouts in the hundreds of thousands, and an estimated 10,000 attended Orlando’s march.

While the mood at the event a year earlier was largely one of feminist outrage at Trump’s election and inauguration, this year’s march shifted focus to encompass a broader scope, protesting the government’s actions regarding DACA and environmental protection. With the rise of the #MeToo movement and the call for lasting change, many Democratic politicians stressed the need for women’s increased involvement in politics.

In Orlando, those who attended the march carried signs that displayed feminist messages and told women to vote. Marchers heard from state representatives, such as Democratic Rep. Amy Mercado and numerous other Democratic candidates for offices.

Mercado called for women to support other women running for office and “make the blue wave a blue wave of women.”

“We need to bust those doors wide open,” Mercado said. “Forget glass ceilings, rush the doors.”

Even though many marched in protest of Trump’s policies, the President took to Twitter on Jan. 20 to show his support for the coming march, commenting, “Beautiful weather all over our great country, a perfect day for all Women to March. Get out there now to celebrate the historic milestones and unprecedented economic success and wealth creation that has taken place over the last 12 months. Lowest female unemployment in 18 years!”